August 2013 Moms

Ergo- Infant Insert Question

Millie1984Millie1984 member
edited October 2013 in August 2013 Moms
So, my LO is an eating machine.  He will be 2 months old on Saturday and weighs about 14 pounds already!  

I love my Ergo, and have been carrying him in it with in infant insert.  I know that the insert is only supposed to be used up until 12 pounds, but I am concerned that he is not quite big enough to be in the Ergo without it.  For example, I am not sure that his legs are long enough to wrap around my waist and stick out the sides.  I tried it today, and his legs did reach, but I was worried that it was uncomfortable, and that they were stretched too far apart.

I guess my question is, is anyone experiencing a weird "in between" period with the Ergo where their LO was too heavy for the insert but not quite big enough to use it without it?  Should I just continue to use the insert, or do you think it could be harmful to use the insert once he is over the 12 pound weight limit?  Or should I just use it without the insert?  OK so that was like 5 questions, sorry. :)

ETA- wow, I just realized how long this is.  Sorry!
After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

Re: Ergo- Infant Insert Question

• I would just keep using it. It doesn't make the ergo unsafe, and it sounds like LO is more comfortable with it.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• I don't have the insert, so I just put a receiving blanket under his bum. His legs stay inside in the M position. LO is 11 lbs and seems comfortable. I do have to support his head. However, if he is still comfortable with the insert, I say use it.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is 9.5 weeks and also about 14lbs. We are still using the insert even though it's a little snug. He still seems to be comfortable in it, and I'm not sure he would stay in a safe position without it at such a young age.

• I have the opposite problem. Dd is just 10 lbs but so long she tries to stand up on the insert. I am still using it for now.

• We are using the insert. I don't think there would be any harm in using it if your LO is in between? If anything it just acts like a little bit more of a cradle I would think.

• Go with whatever he likes, I never got the insert my guy is 10lbs and I put him in it, he starts kind of standing in it the slides into a sitting position, kind of the same way he would be if he was resting on my chest while I'm sitting, his legs stay inside of it tho
  • I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday. My kiddo is a good 13 lbs at 8 weeks and I've been using the insert or a rolled up blanket- probably will continue until he seems comfortable without it.
  • I wouldn't worry about the weight limit, its odd that there even is one.
    image image

• hstautz said:

Could someone post a pic of a rolled up blanket in the Ergo??

There's a good YouTube video that shows how to use a rolled up blanket in place of the infant insert. I can't seem to link it, but it was posted by MommyTya.

• I took everyone's advice and just kept using the insert today.  It still works perfectly fine, I think I was just worried about going over the weight limit, because I wasn't sure if that posed a safety issue.  Looking at him in it today, I really don't think it does, so i am going to try not to worry about it.  Thanks ladies :)
    After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• My LO is only 10lb 4oz and 2 months, and we aren't using anything. We did use a blanket for a few weeks, but now his legs just curl up and he is cozy against me.
    image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"