August 2013 Moms
Options

Help with Breast/Bottle Feeding UPDATE

haneybabyhaneybaby member
edited October 2013 in August 2013 Moms
I was EBF from day one and wasn't struggling at first. I actually had an over active letdown and the milk would pour all over him but he would only eat off one side. After trying and trying, he wasn't getting enough milk so we had to start supplementing at 3 weeks. I pumped instead of feeding a few times and found that I was giving around 1oz of breast milk so I supplemented 3 more. A few days ago he started getting mad anytime I put him to the breast and was super fussy afterwards so I pumped instead of fed and could not get more than 1/4 an ounce. So I had to start giving him almost an entire 4oz of just formula. Anyone go through this and have suggestions? We tried fenugreek and various other methods to increase my supply but nothing seems to work. I feel awful giving him all formula but I don't know if its worth it but I love to nurse. Sorry this is mostly a vent. Advice welcome! Thanks!

UPDATE:
Little man isn't getting enough from me and is gaining okay now but he needs the full 4oz of formula to stay there. Nursing will be for comfort and bonding not for nutrition unless I can get my supply up. I was told that I would need to pump every hour for at least 20-30 minutes and various other things and unfortunately I don't know if I can do it during the day by myself. So the decision is, do I give up and formula feed so I can spend more play and learning time with him or do I commit and really try to get it going? The pediatrician said it may be too late but the fact that he's had breast milk for 5+ weeks is a great way to start his life. But I still feel like I let him down. I really wanted him to not have formula but I can't change my goods, right?

Re: Help with Breast/Bottle Feeding UPDATE

• Options
    Just an FYI, what you're pumping is way less than what he's getting! He is more efficient than any pump, so don't worry about that.

It does sound like you'd benefit from a visit with a lactation consultant, however. If you have access to one at your local hospital, I would call and be seen today. I only pump now, and this has still been a valuable resource for me! Usually ins will cover any costs.

I've gone through this the last 4 weeks. It is SO frustrating, and I know where you are coming from. Our issues were more than supply, but I have been able to get my supply up to reduce supplenting with pumping 20 mins each side 10-12 times per day, around the clock. It takes time and dedication, but I have gone from pumping 4oz a day to over 12.

I had a very large baby, delayed milk (didn't come until day 8) and started off on the wrong foot with BF, but it's never too late to turn the train around. It won't happen overnight.

You may also consider getting an infant scale so you can weigh him before and after to figure out what he is actually getting so you know how much formula to supplement. That helped a lot and was $50 well spent.

We will see what @amyg* says, but good luck and keep going! ;)
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hstautz said:
    I'm going through the same thing, he will nurse for a little bit enough to get my breast soft and then I have to give a bottle probably 6 out of 8 feedings, hopefully AmyG sees this!!
    This is us too! I have been giving him a bottle of pumped milk though. I am going to try to get a bottle with a slower flow nipple...I think the bottles are making him impatient even though I've been trying to use he paced feeding methods he just gets angry.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! We're going to the doctor today so we will see what they suggest. I'll share!
  • Options
    We talked about this at yesterday's LLC meeting. Here is a link to some helpful info about bottle feeding and pumping. https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/ https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"