Breastfeeding

Producing too much milk??

Has anyone dealt with too much milk production?  My LC and I think that I am dealing with this and would like to hear some encouraging stories.  I'm worried that it will cause problems. 
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Producing too much milk??

• I wish!  I have to constantly work on keeping my supply up so I can BF until at least 1 year.  Sorry, I'm not help...
  • I did; block nursing in 2hr blocks helped me. ?Then once my supply came down to meet Ian's demand I went back to alternating breasts at each feeding. ?It was uncomfortable for a couple of weeks but things are much better now.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't wish this issue on anyone.  It sounds nice, but really it leads to clogs, leakage, and higher risk of mastitis... let alone dealing with constant engorgement.  There are ways to get it managed and reduce your supply to something more manageable.  PP has good ideas, and here's some more info on kellymom.  https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/engorgement.html

• Yes, with my last child (DD#2) . I had to nurse laying down for 2 months. I would pump 9oz in 10 minutes an hour AFTER I nursed her and that was at 9pm!!!!

It wasn't painful or anything though and resolved itself around 3-4 months.

GL!?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageAmy Drinkwater:
    I did; block nursing in 2hr blocks helped me.  Then once my supply came down to meet Ian's demand I went back to alternating breasts at each feeding.  It was uncomfortable for a couple of weeks but things are much better now.

I did this too for a few weeks until I was more comfortable.  It took until DS was three months old for my supply to even out and just meet his needs.  He was finally able to comfort nurse then too. :)  In ten minutes, I still pump 2 ounces after he eats from one side and at least 4-6 from the other, if he didn't eat from it.  At least now I don't *have* to pump though, but I can definitely tell if it's been longer than normal between feedings or if I drank more water/ate more good foods the day before. :) 

• I suppose I do produce way more than I need, but I preferred it that way, as an EP, which I don't know if you are.  I have a huge stash in a deep freeze so that when I stop pumping (I think sometime in Jan) my daughter can continue with the breastmilk.  Many have told me along the way to only pump what she needs, but I didn't want to, I wanted as much milk as I could get because I really wanted her to have my milk, since bfing didn't quite work out and that was extremely sad to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"