October 2013 Moms

Normal for BP?

I've been monitoring my BP since my last appt on Wednesday when it was 160/90. It ran high until the weekend, when it was significantly lower. I'm normally right at 120/75. And the doctor told me to watch for anything over 140/90.

I'm just wondering...is it normal for BP to fluctuate so much?
july sig challenge: babies are not dogs
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Normal for BP?

• One BP that is a little high isn't really that big of a deal. What were you doing right before? Was it the only "high" one you got?

And if you normally run in the 120s, why is your doc concerned with 140? Typically it's at least 30 before there's any concern. Guess every doc is different though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb Siggy Challenge
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it depends on your activity level, when you're testing, etc. There are different factors to consider. For example, you shouldn't test until a half hour after you eat. Also, if you've done more activity that day it may be higher. I have never had bp issues bit I have been having random spikes. It can be attributed to the pregnancy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not a doctor, but mine has never fluctuated that often. And those seem pretty high to me, but I've always been a pretty consistent 110/70. I'd call your OB and ask. 
  • I'm not sure what made her choose 140/90. I was told that if I get a reading higher than that to go to L&D. I've only had a really high reading at the doctors office once. I am usually pretty consistent.

I am a teacher and I'm still working at 36 weeks, but I've modified my day so that I don't stand or walk all day anymore. All of these readings were taken more than an hour before or after eating.

Who knows? I have my next appt Thursday, so I will probably ask then as long as there are no extreme differences.

Thanks!
  • I was told they didn't want me over 120/80
  • The consistent 90 readings on the bottom would worry me a lot more than the top number. The top one varies much more with activity level--but the bottom one being high is a much more significant sign that your placenta my be aging faster than normal. Definitely keep us updated and take your doctor's advice seriously.
  • Thanks @sooner1981 ... I've had another diastolic over 90 this morning. My doctor is out of town for the next couple of days, but I've got a call in to the nurse. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"