March 2014 Moms
Options

Paternity leave timing

My DH get 2 weeks off, but can take it at any time during the first year. Any advice out there on when he should take it? I feel like the traditional thing is to take it right away, but think that I might have SO much help (moms) then and life will be so crazy, that it might be nicer if he takes the time a later.

Am I nuts? Any suggestions?

Re: Paternity leave timing

• Options
    I want DH to take any time off he can get right away so that he can bond with the baby right away. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Does he have to take it all at once? He could take a week as soon as the baby is born and then a week some other time?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No help, but I was wondering the same thing. I am hoping his parents will come a couple of weeks after we get home, so I was going to suggest he take it then. But he said he doesn't want to have to go straight back to work and would rather take it immediately.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Options
    You are not nuts-  my cousin and her husband worked together, and each got 12 weeks off: she took hers first, then he took his.

With #1, DH only got a couple of days off- and I had moms over to help- I think I could have used the extra hand a little later (or maybe to transition my going back to work).

However, if he can take a couple of days off right away- it might be good for the two of you as you start to learn your baby.

• Options
    My friends DH had 4 weeks of paternity leave and he took it after she returned to work so the baby didn't have to go to daycare right away.

My DH didn't have PL but he used vaca time. He took of Tuesday and Thursdays for a few weeks.
    He had no problem bonding with the baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Unfortunately he does have to take it all at once
  • Options
    That's so awesome that your DH's get paternity leave! I think so many companies are so far behind on that around here as they don't offer any. I think it's a great suggestion if he can break it up. Maybe do a week right away to help at night and bond with baby then maybe a week later if you find you are overwhelmed and just need an extra hand after the other family members are gone.
  • Options
    Unfortunately he does have to take it all at once
    can he use 3 or 4 days of sick/vaca time at first and then plan for the full 2 weeks of PL later on?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Does he have to take it all at once? He could take a week as soon as the baby is born and then a week some other time?
    This is what we're planning tentatively - he'll take off a week at birth and then 2-3 weeks when I go back to work to postpone daycare as long as possible.
  • Options
    He could probably do that. He's concerned about wanting to bond with the baby, but I'm wondering how much bonding happens in those first few blur of weeks (this is #1 so I have no idea what I'm talking about)
  • Options
    I think we are kind of planning the same thing because he's a music teacher (if he took off two straight weeks, the students won't receive any music instruction likely for two weeks). He'll Take off one week when baby is born. Then use some sick/vacation/rest of paternity leave to take off several Monday and Fridays so he'll have four day weekends at home for two or three weeks.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Options
    He could probably do that. He's concerned about wanting to bond with the baby, but I'm wondering how much bonding happens in those first few blur of weeks (this is #1 so I have no idea what I'm talking about)
    DD was born on Saturday morning, we left the hospital Monday and DH was at work on Wednesday. He did bond with her fine but I think it would be better if he were home for the first crazy days/weeks if possible. 

• Options
    I would personally suggest taking the two weeks when the baby is born.  My situation is a little different since DD didn't come home with us and I needed MH for other reasons.  But you'll be in the hospital for at least a day or two....I went in late Saturday night, and was discharged late afternoon on Monday.  I could not imagine MH not being there the entire time.  I think it would be easier to learn together how to tackle those first two weeks, and then when you've got a bit of a routine down, it might be even easier to have moms and other family come help after he goes back to work.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    My dh gets the same. My plan  for him (haven't talked to him about it yet) is he will take off a week and then go back for a week or two and then take another week off. My parents have a vacation planned a few weeks after my due date, so I want him to be off that week just in case I need some help :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"