October 2013 Moms

VBAC waffling

Background: I have been really gung ho about my VBAC but the last two days I've gotten really frustrated with the false labor, aches and pains and discomfort. I am finally able to walk again after getting a cortisone injection in my SI joint, but it's still so painful that I don't go out often and I'm kind of housebound.

I had scheduled my RCS for 41w5d which is October 30, the latest my OB will let me go. I think I want to move it up. I'm really nervous to be pregnant that long and it seems like a little bit more hassle than it's worth with having to go to the OB 2x a week, get NSTs after 40 weeks, general end of pregnancy discomfort, etc. I am really conflicted about moving it up to my due date, or right after. I feel like I want to give myself a chance but I don't want to wait and wait and wait and then end up needing a c-section when I don't go into labor on my own.

Give me some adviSe or yell at me, whatever. I just need somebody to tell me what the right thing to do is.
Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!

Re: VBAC waffling

• I don't think that anyone can tell you what the right thing for YOU to do is. YOu have to make that desicion on your own. I can tell you I was VERY hopefuly for a VBAC but a combination of things including some high risk factors and a large baby had me schedule my RCS. It's tomorrow. I'm at peace with my desicion and that's all that matters to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

imageimage

Olivia and Matilda, 09/10/201 - Graham, 10/01/2013

• Since it's still weeks out, I would wait to make a final decision. When the time gets closer, you can always move the c-section closer to due date. Also, you never know what will happen, you may go into labor before needing to make the decision or something medical could arise, and the doctor could have to make the decision for you to do it earlier.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I agree, none of us can tell you what you should do.  How busy and how flexible is your Dr?  If you move the CS date up, can you easily push it back if you change your mind and want to wait?  Could you schedule it for sooner at a later date?  My OB is pretty laid back so I think she'd totally understand if I were waffling. 

I am currently OK waiting until 41+ weeks.  I'm not terribly uncomfortable and have no real health issues. Sure I'm tired of being pregnant and I'm tired of people and work but I know that if at all possible I want to avoid the surgery.  BUT this boy is probably going to be big, and I think his positioning is less than optimal (he's head down but very high and always sunnyside up) that combined with the fact that DS#1 never dropped into my pelvis and I never progressed past 5cm... I feel like there's a huge unknown.  I know the mantra in the VBAC community is that your body won't build a baby you can't deliver, but I'm not entirely sure I believe that.  I'd feel a lot more confident if he'd drop. So all that to say, I understand waffling, we all have doubts.  Just ask yourself what you'll regret.  For me, I'll regret it if I don't at least try. 
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Thanks for your answer @suzi-G- it's good to know I'm not the only one having second thoughts. I think I just needed to get my thoughts out there.

My DH is unhelpful because he's supportive but doesn't "get" the VBAC hoopla so he's all, "Yeah, get baby out ASAP". It's just been a rough pregnancy and I'm feeling blah about the whole thing. DD1 was breech and this baby is locked and loaded head down. I know I'd be pissed if I didn't attempt it, but I guess my concern is what if I just never go into labor and I've waited and waited for this baby to come out just to end up in the OR anyway. I wish they would just fucking induce me.
  • I would wait longer on a decision as well. October 30 is still a ways off...
    I'm a VBA2C hopeful due on 10/14. Baby is low but I've had almost no contractions. I've declined cervical checks so that I don't get discouraged on my body's progress. Just hang tight! Things could definitely happen between now and 10/30 :)
  • I'm going for a VBAC as well, and there have been times I freak out about the risks and wonder if I should just get a RCS. The only thing that's really keeping me on track with the VBAC is hoping that it will be successful and I will recover much faster/be able to keep things more normal for my 2 year old. I don't know what I'll do if I can't pick him up for 6 weeks, etc.

FWIW, my OB won't let me go past 41 weeks, so my induction/RCS is scheduled for 40 wks 5 days (since I like the doctor in the OR that day, and not the 2 days following).

If my cervix is ready, they will sweep my membranes at 38 wk 5 day (which I will decline because if my cervix is ready then, it will be ready later), and at 40 wk 1 day (which I will have them do).

Have you discussed membrane sweeping and/or induction with them?
  • SnoopyLuv said:
    DD1 was breech and this baby is locked and loaded head down. I know I'd be pissed if I didn't attempt it, but I guess my concern is what if I just never go into labor and I've waited and waited for this baby to come out just to end up in the OR anyway. I wish they would just fucking induce me.
    This is my great fear. My OB is open to *some* induction options IF you are favorable.  Unfortunately, I've got nothing going on.  I didn't dilate AT ALL ahead of time with #1 and I don't think I'm likely to with this one unless he can figure out how to fit his head into my pelvis and apply some pressure.  At the appt with my MFM this morning he was like "Wow.  That is a looong cervix."  humph.  Not what I wanted to hear.  I don't know where you live so this may or may not be available to you but I had an induction massage with a doula/midwife at 41+ weeks with DS#1 and went into labor less than 24 hours later.  I know there are a number of doulas and a few acupuncture places that offer labor induction services and they are raved about by the local ICAN group.  I definitely plan to do everything I did last time to try and get labor going-- EPO, walking (ha!), sex (double ha!), induction massage-- but I'm starting earlier this time. 
  • Suzi-G- said:
    SnoopyLuv said:
    DD1 was breech and this baby is locked and loaded head down. I know I'd be pissed if I didn't attempt it, but I guess my concern is what if I just never go into labor and I've waited and waited for this baby to come out just to end up in the OR anyway. I wish they would just fucking induce me.
    This is my great fear. . 
    Same here.  At my appt on Thurs I plan on asking if they can schedule a RCS for 40w5d (give or take a day or two, bc it's a Saturday).. esp if I don't progress at all by 40w.  My dr said my odds of having a successful VBAC go down after 40 weeks, so if nothing's happening by then I would rather just do the CS.. this is going to be our second and last child, I have no desire to get PG again, so having a CS isn't the end of the world for me.  I agree with a PP that you only know what's right for YOU.  Personally, for ME, I don't want to go any later than 41 weeks.  
    DD ~ 8/30/09 DS ~ 10/13/13
  • SnoopyLuvSnoopyLuv member
    edited September 2013
    I'm going for a VBAC as well, and there have been times I freak out about the risks and wonder if I should just get a RCS. The only thing that's really keeping me on track with the VBAC is hoping that it will be successful and I will recover much faster/be able to keep things more normal for my 2 year old. I don't know what I'll do if I can't pick him up for 6 weeks, etc.

FWIW, my OB won't let me go past 41 weeks, so my induction/RCS is scheduled for 40 wks 5 days (since I like the doctor in the OR that day, and not the 2 days following).

If my cervix is ready, they will sweep my membranes at 38 wk 5 day (which I will decline because if my cervix is ready then, it will be ready later), and at 40 wk 1 day (which I will have them do).

They are on board with membrane sweeping after 38 weeks on, and will do it at each appointment. I have been reading that multiple sweeps is actually better than just doing one, so I'm going with that. I'm trying to be aggressive about "self induction" but you can only do so much, you know?

ETA: @JennMatt2010 aren't you in the Bmore area? Or am I thinking of someone else. If you are, I'm curious about who your OB is because I had a damn hard time finding someone VBAC friendly.
  • Suzi-G- said:
    SnoopyLuv said:
    This is my great fear. My OB is open to *some* induction options IF you are favorable.  Unfortunately, I've got nothing going on.  I didn't dilate AT ALL ahead of time with #1 and I don't think I'm likely to with this one unless he can figure out how to fit his head into my pelvis and apply some pressure.  At the appt with my MFM this morning he was like "Wow.  That is a looong cervix."  humph.  Not what I wanted to hear.  I don't know where you live so this may or may not be available to you but I had an induction massage with a doula/midwife at 41+ weeks with DS#1 and went into labor less than 24 hours later.  I know there are a number of doulas and a few acupuncture places that offer labor induction services and they are raved about by the local ICAN group.  I definitely plan to do everything I did last time to try and get labor going-- EPO, walking (ha!), sex (double ha!), induction massage-- but I'm starting earlier this time. 
    Ugh, how frustrating to hear that from your MFM. I have been self checking my cervix and I'm probably 50% effaced and 3CM dilated (I was 2 at my last check). I dilated early with DD1, too. Unfortunately, they won't even do a light induction if I'm favorable, I have to be actively contracting, but it seems like it depends on which OB is on call at that point. I'm going to chat with the more VBAC friendly one at my appointment next week and see if she'll give me her schedule.

I've already looked at acupuncturists in my area and I've been doing EPO since 34 weeks, RRL tea,  I have sex every day (ugh, the things we do for our kids), walk/hobble as much as I can and I'm on my yoga ball all day long. I don't really know what else I can do. I just hate for this all to be in vain. I know it won't matter once she is here, but it's aggravating.
  • SnoopyLuv said:
    I'm going for a VBAC as well, and there have been times I freak out about the risks and wonder if I should just get a RCS. The only thing that's really keeping me on track with the VBAC is hoping that it will be successful and I will recover much faster/be able to keep things more normal for my 2 year old. I don't know what I'll do if I can't pick him up for 6 weeks, etc.

They are on board with membrane sweeping after 38 weeks on, and will do it at each appointment. I have been reading that multiple sweeps is actually better than just doing one, so I'm going with that. I'm trying to be aggressive about "self induction" but you can only do so much, you know?

ETA: @JennMatt2010 aren't you in the Bmore area? Or am I thinking of someone else. If you are, I'm curious about who your OB is because I had a damn hard time finding someone VBAC friendly.
    No; we used to live near Baltimore but have since moved to Florida. And talk about having a damn hard time...there is ONE hospital in our area that does VBACs, and ONE physician group. So even though I have had so many issues with scheduling, being misdiagnosed with GD, not liking a few of the doctors, etc., I essentially have no choice if I want to try a VBAC. I'm surprised you had a tough time finding one in MD...my old OB was very VBAC supportive.

Good luck!!

Oh and side note, I didn't know that multiple sweeps were supposed to be more effective. Sigh. Guess I'm back to thinking about whether I'll allow them to do it at 38 wks 5 days...
  • SnoopyLuv said:
    Ugh, how frustrating to hear that from your MFM. I have been self checking my cervix and I'm probably 50% effaced and 3CM dilated (I was 2 at my last check). I dilated early with DD1, too. Unfortunately, they won't even do a light induction if I'm favorable, I have to be actively contracting, but it seems like it depends on which OB is on call at that point. I'm going to chat with the more VBAC friendly one at my appointment next week and see if she'll give me her schedule.

I've already looked at acupuncturists in my area and I've been doing EPO since 34 weeks, RRL tea,  I have sex every day (ugh, the things we do for our kids), walk/hobble as much as I can and I'm on my yoga ball all day long. I don't really know what else I can do. I just hate for this all to be in vain. I know it won't matter once she is here, but it's aggravating.
    Yeah you're definitely doing everything you can, I'll bet you'll go into spontaneous labor before 40 weeks.  I can't usually reach my cervix because this baby is so high and it's still high and posterior but at my last appt I was barely fingertip and clearly from the image I saw on ultrasound today I'd say 0% effaced.  :( 

Fortunately my OB is very supportive of VBAC which is rare where I live.  She'll let me go a bit past 41 weeks and will do some induction techniques and doesn't think baby's size is at all important.  SO, I'm just battling my own doubts. 
  • Suzi-G- , I was feeling discouraged like that a few weeks ago. I've been hanging out on the VBAC board and the boards on mothering.com and reading birth stories got me all fired up to push this baby out vaginally.

Have you thought about seeing a chiro to maybe help baby move down? I swear that's what's made the difference this pregnancy.
  • I'm feeling the same exact way about my vba2c. Wednesday I find out what my options are after my growth ultrasound. My husband however is on team vbac so it's a little frustrating but I keep flash backing to my first csection where I labored for 20 hours, pushed for 3 and then had to have a csection. I don't want to go through that again!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know this is totally inappropriate, but I REALLY want waffles now.  Glad the pp's got you covered on the real advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"