October 2013 Moms

Aggrivated/sad?? BF struggle?

We brought baby home yesterday and she has been feeding great. But starting late last night she's just not wanting to do anything. She'll latch on, suck 2-3 good times and that's it. I'll get her to re latch and she'll just lay there and fall asleep. I can tell I'm getting frustrating and a little down. I know its normal but I guess I just didn't expect it. All advice welcome! :)

Re: Aggrivated/sad?? BF struggle?

• No advice since I'm a FTM but I wish you luck! I'm sure it will get easier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like she isn't ready to eat.  Give her a little bit of time and try again.  I am a believer of feeding on demand so if she isn't hungry don't worry about it unless her wet/dirty diapers drops too low for her age.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • I had to do everything CV said. DD was a sleepy sleepy baby and wouldn't stay awake to nurse the first week. I had other issues too but keeping her awake was difficult at first so we did the undressing, wash cloth bit at most feedings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Are you familiar with nursing vacations? That really helped with my little guy. Also tons of skin to skin time!

• Hang in there.  I didn't have the sleepy baby problem with my first, I had a wide awake and hungry piranha who tore me up, but I know a lot of moms say to undress them so they aren't so warm and cozy.  In any case, the first 6 weeks are hard.  Really hard.  Just keep at it and it will eventually get easier.  :)
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • This is totally normal. Just keep baby skin to skin (try not to wear a shirt - either of you) and offer as much as possible. If she doesn't latch, that's OK - it's still telling your body that you need to make milk and that's good! In a week or so you'll be wondering how to get the baby off your teat, so just enjoy the snuggles.

I agree with trying to keep her awake, get her undressed, "change" her diaper, sit in the sunlight, cool washcloth, etc all work to help. I had the hardest time with this.

Remember her belly is only the size of a walnut right now- she doesn't need much! That initial colostrum is so nutrient rich she only needs teaspoons of it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I think this is really helpful and I've printed it out as a reminder for myself even though I'm a STM.

https://www.beststart.org/resources/breastfeeding/pdf/breastfdeskref09.pdf
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Hang in there, keep pushing forward! Rumor has it from every single mom I know the first few weeks are always a struggle then get better! 

• CV had some great suggestions.  Keep baby skin to skin and as much as possible.  If baby is having plenty of wet diapers then they are eating enough.  The first few weeks can be super frustrating.  Hang in there, it DOES get better, much much better!

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Yup. Strip down to her diaper! That being said though, all kids are different and she may just go longer between feeds. Just keep an eye on her output!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I kept calling DD "lazy" every time she ate for the first couple of weeks.  It kind of became a joke.  My advice: do what you can to stimulate her.  Newborns are often tired and do need a lot of rest, but they also need food.  When she would nurse, I would get a wipe and rub it on her feet.  Make sure it's a cold wipe though.  Remember, you are stimulating not soothing.  Sometimes, I even had to get her all the way naked to nurse.  Basically, just get her a little uncomfortable so she will stay awake and eat. 

Nursing is very soothing to infants.  So it really is no surprise they often fall asleep while doing so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"