September 2012 Moms
Options

Allergic Reaction/EpiPen

DH just called to inform me that he was stung on the back of the head while working a few minutes ago. He said he felt dizzy and itchy/tingly all over. I told him to go to the nearest urgent care/hospital for treatment.

So, I am assuming that LO is at risk for being allergic too, right? How do I get my hands on some EpiPens for emergency? Is there prescriptions/dosages involved? I guess I could call the pedi but wanted to see what y'alls experience is first.

TIA
::mobile::

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Allergic Reaction/EpiPen

• Options
    I don't know if it is different in the US, but here in Canada (BC at least), you don't need a prescription. You can get them over the counter at the pharmacy. 
  • Options
    What LL said, the second time...  :D

You definitely want a dosage/ script from the doctor because that should make them cheaper, and your doc may just tell you to carry benadryl JIC, because personal Epi Pens are so expensive.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your pediatrician can give you a RX. They make EpiPen Jr.s for children.  Something to know- they can be expensive.  We always buy them at the end of the year because before we meet our deductible they cost  a couple hundred dollars (it's worth it but just be prepared). Also check the expiration date. We bought one a few years ago (in January so it was expensive) and when we took it to the preschool they noticed it expired in June. We took it back and got a new one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I would talk to your pedi. I'm guessing this is the first time your husband has been stung (at 20 or 30 something years old) so carrying around an epi just in case seems a bit extreme. Having some Benadryl in your purse sounds more reasonable for a just in case he is allergic and gets stung by a bee. You live close enough to major medical care, it should not be an issue.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    That's interesting. I am deadly allergic to quite a few things and our pedi hast mentioned getting an epi pen for Ellie. How genetic are allergies? My sister and I are both allergic to melon but mine is anaphylactic and hers isn't.
                  image     image
  • Options
    hmp1 said:
    I would talk to your pedi. I'm guessing this is the first time your husband has been stung (at 20 or 30 something years old) so carrying around an epi just in case seems a bit extreme. Having some Benadryl in your purse sounds more reasonable for a just in case he is allergic and gets stung by a bee. You live close enough to major medical care, it should not be an issue.

As far as DH goes - I can't believe that he hasn't had this happen before. He's been cutting trees for 15 years, so I am curious as to what stung him. My other concern is for our employees - I wonder if we should have one on hand for emergency for them. I don't know, just trying to think ahead.

• Options
    ambekirt said:
    That's interesting. I am deadly allergic to quite a few things and our pedi hast mentioned getting an epi pen for Ellie. How genetic are allergies? My sister and I are both allergic to melon but mine is anaphylactic and hers isn't.
    According to our pediatrician, parents having allergies increases the likelihood that your children will have allergies but does not determine what allergies your child will have. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    kdsmith43 said:
    hmp1 said:

As far as DH goes - I can't believe that he hasn't had this happen before. He's been cutting trees for 15 years, so I am curious as to what stung him. My other concern is for our employees - I wonder if we should have one on hand for emergency for them. I don't know, just trying to think ahead.
    I would just make sure that someone has cell service wherever they are going and that you have benadryl available.  Like others said, they are incredibly expensive and they expire, so having one on hand at all times may not be the most cost effective thing to do.  

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    I am anaphylactic to treenuts, peanuts, insect poison.
    We had DS1 tested for all of those things and he was fine.
    With DS2, we are waiting to get an appointment now. I am assuming it will be early this year again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully DH made it out of there okay...

• Options
    I hope your H is okay. DH had an allergic reaction a couple months ago. It wasn't super severe, but it was still scary.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    hmp1 said:
    This. I only carry epi pens because DS has had an anaphalactic reaction to peanuts. I don't think you should use an epi pen unless there is a chance of that level of reaction. Allergic reaction to something? Benedryl is all you generally need.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you or anyone is having a reaction that involves the head, heart, or lungs you should use the epipen and call 911. But if it's a small reaction and you are not dizzy, vomiting, and are breathing okay, then benadryl is fine. Benadryl only masks the reaction and should not be given if it is severe.
    Gabriel 09-11-2012 No dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts
    DSC_0803
    DH deployed since July 22
  • Options
    If you or anyone is having a reaction that involves the head, heart, or lungs you should use the epipen and call 911. But if it's a small reaction and you are not dizzy, vomiting, and are breathing okay, then benadryl is fine. Benadryl only masks the reaction and should not be given if it is severe.

This is good to know. He was dizzy, short of breath, tingling all over and vomited as soon as he entered the urgent care office. I will speak with our primary care to see about what the next steps should be.

I am so curious as to what he was stung by. He said he had no clue, never saw it coming and never saw it afterwards.

• Options
    You have to get a prescription, at least in Texas. I got some because I've started getting allergy injections and it's required. Through insurance, it wasn't expensive at all.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"