February 2014 Moms

WIC Info needed

My mom keeps suggesting I go and apply for WIC. I just went and looked on the website and even with counting her and me as 2, im worried that with my Unemployment Benefits, that at the end of the year we would have already exceeded that. 

Does anyone know if they count Unemployment? I'd assume they do. Would I be better to wait until after the baby is born to apply? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: WIC Info needed

• I applied for wic and I work a full-time job.  I was approved, its all on how much you make YEARLY. Its different for every state.  I applied for it not for food, or anything because my plan is to breast feed.  But with my fiance not working, I don't have extra money for baby classes, and wic offers them for free.  I say go for it, even if you don't get it.  Wic is amazing for supporting moms to be.
  • And in Maryland, they do count unemployment.  If you want more details about how much I make and etc and how I was approved you can message me about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is what I was thinking too. 

I wouldnt just mind the nutritional support honestly. I really have no need for a dozen gallons of milk per month but I do have low iron and am a lapband patient so my eating is a little skewed.

When L/O gets here, the formula will be an issue (I dont think my meds for RLS will support BF'ing) but honestly, we paid for all of my DS2 formula way back in the day and we were of much more meager means. 

Do they go based off of Last year, the current year? Do they use your taxes? 

I was really trying to avoid going there since its 20 miles away but thats probably what i'll be heading off to do lol  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sending you a private message :)
  • You have other kids under the age of 18, too, right, you've mentioned them before, so you, baby, plus DH, plus what, 2 other kids, that's a family of 5.  They ask for last year's tax forms to look at the net income, then they break it down.  They'll ask for pay stubs for the last 3 paychecks or so, I think...

I don't remember, I'm sorry, we were advised by the nurse to apply back when we had our first, esp. when my BF'ing was suffering & we needed formula, & we were accepted, but honestly, it was a pita.  Yes, they saved LOTS of money on formula, but they were always insisting on testing the baby & the baby's blood & whatnot even after you get it done at the clinic, & they are pushy, & judgmental...at least our local office was.  And several times, they screwed up our paperwork, causing us extra work.  I'm hoping that my BF'ing works well enough this time that we don't have to apply in order to get formula help, if we'd even meet the requirements, but, hey, you pay for it every year with your taxes, & so does your DH & all your family members, so, if you qualify, go for it.
  • i applied for wic...and i hate to say it but its a lot of your time and wasted time unless you are really needing it. it certainly has its place and if your baby is on formual then i would say totally worth all your time. but at least for texas, you have to take these courses every three months to reapply. those courses are only during working hours. and because they went off my yearly income, if you work a commission based job it can get a little tough! 

for those i know who have been on it, including myself, the time spent getting it vs the benefits didnt really work out. again, could be different from state to state. you'll have tons of peanut butter and kix cereal for sure :)

with me and my two kids i got a four gallons of milk a month, but only one loaf of bread and a jar or pb, one pound of cheese. the large box of kix. that was it. 

good luck! 
  • I used WIC with DD and it was such a blessing when my milk supply ran out. We got hooked on juicy juice and it's all we buy even today. I worked part time and full time but was still under the income requirements. I know one of the ways you qualified for WIC when I had it is if you have medical assistance.
    20 miles away is a hump but the help you would get for formula is well worth it IMO.
    I'm a sinner saved by grace and a child of the Attitude Era (Oh you didn't know?!?)
    #OurBoyD-Bryan #TeamCrossRhodes #KnowYourRoll #ShutYourMouth 
    DD#1: 9/3/2004 Noelle Catherine
    DD#2: 1/26/2014 Faith Preston
    DC(dear cat?? lol): 6/5/2009 Shane Fitzgerald Kennedy
    I married my best friend <3 DH is my knight in shining armor! 

• I had WIC before too.
    Honestly just apply. They should be Able to tell you right then and there if you are a "candidate" for the services. The office where I live has a complete jack hole of a lady and her husband that work there and that always have something to say. Debating on going in again.
    It really is a great service provided to you and helped us a lot.
  • You can likely meet with someone from your local office or talk over the phone to go over initial eligibility factors. They might be able to give you a better idea!!! It may be somewhat of a pain to apply, but in the long run it will help you if you're eligible!
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my state it's based off of monthly income. Some months you might qualify, some you might not. I don't know exactly what counts and what doesn't, but for us it's really easy for military families to meet the requirements because there is so much they don't count. You'd have to look up the specifics for your situation for sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"