November 2013 Moms

parents who room shared..

Ok I have a REALLY stupid question. I bought an arms reach cosleeper so ds can sleep right next to my bed when we come home since we only have a 2 bedroom house. Ds1 slept in his own room since he came home or a swing. Now here's the stupid part. I keep thinking about all these scenarios that are gunna make it harder to room share such as sneaking in to go to bed or dh might score etc but what about if I have to sneeze, cough or god forbid fart! Ive been super gassy and I have IBS so I tend to be gassy at night anyways. Am I gunna have to run out of the room? Will those sounds wake him? I can't seem to remember this stuff from the first time! I know it's dumb but I want my baby to sleep well. Maybe he'll get used to the noises we make... anyone know?

Re: parents who room shared..

• We only room shared for the first three months, but it was not a problem. I don't remember it being an issue. After we moved her, she was just in a room a few feet away with the doors open, so she could still hear us.

I actually think there is a bigger risk of the baby waking your two up than the other way around.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We only room shared for the first 9 weeks.  I kept a little sound machine in his PnP.  We did not turn the tv on while he was sleeping, but we did go about "normal activities".
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We room shared for 5 months. Def. not doing it that long this time. I think we were overly cautious because we wanted our own time and sleep so desperately. It helps to have white noise, like a fan.

We won't be as cautious this time, and will go about making normal noises because DS1 was sensitive to noises. I'd prefer this one to be more used to them. Oh, and we have the Arms Reach co-sleeper we are using too (I have heard great things about them).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

• We room shared for the first year and the only modifications we made were using dimmer table lamps at night and not blasting the TV when LO was sleeping.  We'd still watch TV in the bedroom, but adjusted it to a lower volume.
  • We roomed shared with DD for the first 3 month. She was still in the newborn sleep stage and was not easily woken up. We also have a 2 bedroom house so we will be room sharing a little longer. This time we plan to use a sleep sound machine so there is lots of background noise to drown out any sounds we might make going in and out of room.
  • I also used to vacuum DD1's room while she slept on.  She slept through noise great and is a deep sleeper. My youngest I don't think was ever more than half asleep for the first 3 years.  If I even set foot in the room she would wake up. Sooo, maybe you'll find out when he gets here?
  • We room shared and I think it actually made dd a more sound sleeper. She got used to sleeping with noise very early on.
  • We room shared with DS off and on for quite a while. He wasn't woken by his dad's snoring (somehow) or any other noises, usually. Don't worry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone! I definitely want this one to be better acclimated to noises than ds1. So hopefully it goes well
  • SJacques7 said:

I room shared and made noise on purpose so my DD would get use to sleeping through anything. Would even vacuum during her naps. She sleeps like a rock now. Not saying you will never wake your LO but I wouldn't worry to much about making noise unless it's really affecting LO's sleep.

This!

Some of the best parenting advice my mother gave me was to make noise (like vacuuming) during the day and during naps. He sleeps like a rock and has never been phased by loud noises.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     
  • Yup. My mom told me "baby is coming into our world, not the other way around and will have to learn us just like we have to learn her" or something like that. Tv, vacuum, talking, dog barking, all of that will continue to go on while she's sleeping. Babies who sleep in "silence" expect that same silence everywhere which isn't realistic, especially in a day care or even someone else's house.
  • Also planning to room share, here.  I figure at this point this little one has already heard me make all kinds of gross sounds (from farts to peeing), so it'll probably be soothing to her!  ;)

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

March 24bimageimageimage
  • Im curious about this sort of thing too. What about our morning alarm? What did you guys do about that?
  • I room shared and made noise on purpose so my DD would get use to sleeping through anything. Would even vacuum during her naps. She sleeps like a rock now. Not saying you will never wake your LO but I wouldn't worry to much about making noise unless it's really affecting LO's sleep.
    This! Some of the best parenting advice my mother gave me was to make noise (like vacuuming) during the day and during naps. He sleeps like a rock and has never been phased by loud noises.

this!! My son fell asleep at a ridiculously loud kid's birthday party. Thanks to us watching tv at top volume and running the vacuum. Farts and alarm clocks never woke DS for the 10 months he was in our room. Not ideal but at we time we only had a 1 bedroom. You are totally going to wake up cause you now have bionic mom ears. we didn't get busy in the bedroom because it felt weird, so it was other places in the house instead.
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"