August 2013 Moms

Uneven pumping?

So, I started pumping about a week ago to start building up a freezer stash for when I go back to work. I'm only doing it once or twice a day for now (DD is going through a must-be-held-all-the time stage, which makes pumping tough if DH isn't here to assist!). The first time I pumped, I only pumped my right breast, and got about half an ounce from it. But ever since then, whether I pump both breasts or just one, I get NOTHING from my right breast. Left breast produces about 2oz in twenty minutes or so. Has anyone else had this happen? I know it's common for the two breasts to be uneven in terms of production, but this seems a bit extreme! (When DD BFs, she doesn't seem irritated at my right breast, so I think she's getting milk out of it)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Uneven pumping?

• My right would always make more then my left so then I started feeding and pumping from the left more. Righty still produces about a half an ounce more but they are more even now.

Like pp said its probably your breast not responding to the pump
  • I'm the same... Almost none from the left. I assumed it was my inverted nipple on that side wasn't being as stimulated?
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Hmm my right breast doesn't produce as much either. My left is noticeably larger! My right one has never really produced much. I don't even use it anymore because its so sensitive for LO to breastfeed on it. I use my left, and pump my right 3 times a day. I still get about 2 oz each time I pump, and that helps with my stash or when I need a bottle but I probably run the risk of it drying up.

• Righty responds best to the pump. I switch the babies w each feed and there's no rhyme or reason for who fed off what boob and then who's hungry first.

Like everything, zero predictability.

• My right produces more when I pump (I'm pumping 6 times a day for supplementation purposes), but my left is slightly bigger, so I'm guessing my left just doesn't respond to the pump as well because there is clearly milk in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My right has more as well.
    imageimageimageimage

• hstautz said:

I can't get much from my electric pump, like only a few ML. But I bought a $20 manual pump and I was able to get 2 oz! Try a manual on the stubborn breast, worth a shot!

I've heard this before - that a manual will work sometimes better. Def worth it esp if you pump one and feed off the other.

• Lefty pumps almost twice the amount Righty does. Lately I've been feeding off the right one and he passes out from that alone. I pump the left one since I get more from that. I'm wondering if I change the size of the breast shield for the right, would I get more milk.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• My left is the overachieving show-off at our house.
  • This happened to me once and it turned out the duck bill part of my pump wasn't attached very tightly on that side. Have you checked your pump to make sure everything is secured properly?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"