Baby Names

Jr Rules

I have a question about "JR" rules. Can the child have a different middle name than the father but still be a JR?

Example:
Father is Daniel James Hablabla

Son is Daniel Jude Hablabla
FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List

Re: Jr Rules

• No. I don't think.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • No. 
    My FIL is David Harrison and DH is David Lee, he is not a JR. They did a different middle name for that reason, they wanted the name to be passed down (so not my thing, I vetoed David for if we ever have a DS) but they didn't want JR.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks, ladies! I was talking to someone and they said otherwise, but I didn't think that was right.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Nope. Change the middle name and the kid is no longer a Jr.
  • I agree the name should be exact but I've seen different. My nephew is the 3rd but has a different middle name.
  • I believe you can fill out the birth certificate any way you want.

Dad may be John Doe and baby may be Quincy Smith, but you could still throw a Jr on the birth certificate if you wanted.
  • BeckyOff said:
    I believe you can fill out the birth certificate any way you want.

Dad may be John Doe and baby may be Quincy Smith, but you could still throw a Jr on the birth certificate if you wanted.
    Interesting!  I wonder about that, who regulates baby names?  I have always based it on the "rule" of exact names, but is there a law?

• Nope but you may still have issues. My son has a different MN than his dad but same first name.

When I call the doctor I have to be very specific or they mess it up. I am hoping we won't have credit mixup issues in the future. My dad and brother did.

• There is a rule, but some people choose to break it for one reason or another. For example:

My father was technically a Junior. He had the exact same name as his father. But my grandma hated the term Junior and didn't want it attached to my dad in any way. So my dad became John James Doe II instead.

So the rule is: exact name gets a Jr, different MN gets a II (or nothing).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"