Cloth Diapering

I'm at a loss

every time my son is in fluff he gets a horrible rash. so I , put himsposies until it clears up. strip my diapers. abd then once the rash is gone I put him back in. within 1-2 days max he had this horrible rash AGAIN!! I'm confused, angry, upset and about to quit! please help me figure out the missing piece to this puzzle.

ps. sorry about any typos. Swype text hates this site.
Racheal- a newly single, student mom to 3 boys 

CC 10/2005
NC 11/2009
DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

Re: I'm at a loss

• What is your wash routine and what kind of detergent?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• What type of cloth diaper? If its happening quickly it could be an allergy. It might be the fibers or the detergent you are using.

Have you tried changing detergents? I'd also make sure the detergent is getting washed clean ( no bubbles on your final rinse).

I you're using prefolds or flats it could also be a wetness sensitivity.
  • Loading the player...
  • I use pockets. Charlie bananas, kawaii, and a few wahm's. also s few other brands I can't remember. I use all f&c. I was thinking about switching to rockin the green. I do 2 rinses after they rinse with no bubbles

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• I wash every night, everyother night at the max. child pre-rinse, hot wash, and lots of child rinses.

(I have a front loader)

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• Switching to a different detergent should help.  If you do Rocking Green make sure that you get the one for your water type.

When washing, try to add a second pre-rinse that is no spin to make your clothes heavier for the hot wash cycle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I'm pretty sure it has been suggested to you to try a different detergent already. Have you tried it yet?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I didn't know if the detergent was the only reason. I wanted more opinions. sheesh.

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• I know for a fact I don't have hard water. how can I tell if I have soft?

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• it's not that I didn't like the answers. I thought if j started a new one with the type of rash he gets in the op vs in the comments of ny other thread I could get more ideas aside from detergent. is there any detergent I can pick up in stores do I don't have to wait for it to arrive?

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• I thought you were going to rock the green?
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Tide original powder.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was. but I can't figure out if I have soft water. I researched my area and couldn'ttell. plus I would like something now.

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• Then I will recommend tide again.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • I am allergic to tide. Can I wash his dipes without giving myself a rash?

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• Well, then go get a water testing kit from Lowes or Walmart and test your water. If it's hard then the only detergents that really work are Tide Powder, Charlie's, Country Save, and Nellie's. If it's super hard like mine then only Tide works. If it's soft then you have to use more detergent, but it must be CD safe. Yours isn't CD safe. Other things to do is do a warm wash cycle with no detergent as your prewash and if it's an HE machine then turn the final spin off. There isn't a magical answer. Do these steps and things will get better.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok, thank you!

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• Well, then go get a water testing kit from Lowes or Walmart and test your water. If it's hard then the only detergents that really work are Tide Powder, Charlie's, Country Save, and Nellie's. If it's super hard like mine then only Tide works. If it's soft then you have to use more detergent, but it must be CD safe. Yours isn't CD safe. Other things to do is do a warm wash cycle with no detergent as your prewash and if it's an HE machine then turn the final spin off. There isn't a magical answer. Do these steps and things will get better.
    I thought if you have soft water you use less detergent.
    I think thats ammonia you use less. With soft water I think you use more since it's too soft to properly clean. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm remembering. Hard water use less, soft water use more.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm with MK, I thought soft water you used less detergent.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • I do not know about tide F&C. I will try it. Thanks

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• I use All small and mighty free and clear for HE machines and it has four stars on pinstripes and polka dots and I just got it at Target. Is that what you are using? I haven't had any issues, but I know everyone is different. Why is that detergent not CD safe? Because it has brighteners and not five stars?
  • OK, i just bought tide. they didn't have free and clear so ill just use cloves when washing them. 
    Now, should I strip them first since i probably have a build up issue or should i just wash right away with the tide? also, how much do you use? i have a front loader that barely uses water.

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• I use 2-3 Tbs. Tide powder in a regular top loader.  You need to add a heavy wet towel to your wash to get more water into the drum...I'm not exactly sure how to do that since I don't have a FL...but not enough water in the cycles will definitely create bad CD problems
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And thats exactly where I think my issue lies!! When I was visiting at my moms she has a top loader and i washed like regular and had to do soooooo many rinses. i got major build up issues going on over here. I will definitely try the towel thank you for that!! should I add it in the washer wet?

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• Ok, y'all are right I got the hard and soft water thing confused. LOL
  • And thats exactly where I think my issue lies!! When I was visiting at my moms she has a top loader and i washed like regular and had to do soooooo many rinses. i got major build up issues going on over here. I will definitely try the towel thank you for that!! should I add it in the washer wet?
    I really don't know.  I just know that FL owners do this at one point.  Maybe someone can chime in
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mandmeesh said:

And thats exactly where I think my issue lies!! When I was visiting at my moms she has a top loader and i washed like regular and had to do soooooo many rinses. i got major build up issues going on over here. I will definitely try the towel thank you for that!! should I add it in the washer wet?

I really don't know.  I just know that FL owners do this at one point.  Maybe someone can chime in

Yes, add it in sopping wet. The point is to trick your washer into thinking it's a bigger load bc it's heavy.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Also sounds like you just need a hot water strip.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • ok. beforecompleting givingup on cloth. I'm going to hot water strip, then start using this tide with a soaking wet towel. give it s few tries abd see how the rashes go.

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• If you have detergent build-up, you can strip them by soaking them. I had to do this in my bathtub since I can't soak them in my FL machine. I rinsed them under the tap, soaked them, squished them around, and let them sit overnight. You don't have to wait that long, but I forgot about them! Alternatively, you could try running clean diapers through a few cycles in your washer, but I'm not sure that would work as well.

To get my diapers to weigh more (thus get more water in the machine), you can add a second quick cycle or rinse cycle after your pre-rinse cycle. So for my machine, I would do a warm quick cycle with cold rinse and spin, then a cold quick cycle with no spin. (It is VITAL to do a spin after the first cycle so you get the pee water out of your diapers, but the second time using no spin keeps water in the diapers so they are heavier.) If you still need weight or don't want to do the second cycle, add a wet towel after your pre-rinse. Yes, it probably helps if it is wet when you add it. I'm pretty sure the machine calculates how much the load weighs (approximately) to decide how much water to put in; otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to add the towel, right? I have also heard of folks who pour water (from a bucket) through the detergent slot, but I've never tried that.

Also, I may have said this before, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure and clean your washer. I pulled the soap dispenser out of mine the other day (after 5 years not knowing it could come out) and there was at least .25 inch of detergent sludge under it. It's a wonder I didn't have crazy build-up all the time!!

• Use cloves?

haha.....gloves.....

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

• If you have detergent build-up, you can strip them by soaking them. I had to do this in my bathtub since I can't soak them in my FL machine. I rinsed them under the tap, soaked them, squished them around, and let them sit overnight. You don't have to wait that long, but I forgot about them! Alternatively, you could try running clean diapers through a few cycles in your washer, but I'm not sure that would work as well.

To get my diapers to weigh more (thus get more water in the machine), you can add a second quick cycle or rinse cycle after your pre-rinse cycle. So for my machine, I would do a warm quick cycle with cold rinse and spin, then a cold quick cycle with no spin. (It is VITAL to do a spin after the first cycle so you get the pee water out of your diapers, but the second time using no spin keeps water in the diapers so they are heavier.) If you still need weight or don't want to do the second cycle, add a wet towel after your pre-rinse. Yes, it probably helps if it is wet when you add it. I'm pretty sure the machine calculates how much the load weighs (approximately) to decide how much water to put in; otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to add the towel, right? I have also heard of folks who pour water (from a bucket) through the detergent slot, but I've never tried that.

Also, I may have said this before, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure and clean your washer. I pulled the soap dispenser out of mine the other day (after 5 years not knowing it could come out) and there was at least .25 inch of detergent sludge under it. It's a wonder I didn't have crazy build-up all the time!!
    I second this. This is why I have such a crazy wash routine (that I just had to tweak..... again!). I do a warm/warm rinse, drain, and spin cycle. This has 2 rinses and takes about 25 minutes. I then do a warm/warm delicates cycle with no spin (I turn the spin off) and I'll add a towel at this point sometimes (this takes 30 minutes). Then do a heavy duty hot wash w/ 1-2 TBS of Tide (I sometimes use Charlie's and then add the hard water booster) and 2 cold rinses (this takes 1 hour 30 minutes). Then I do a whole cold express cycle! So It takes me almost 3 hours to wash my dipes with my HE machine. If I don't do it this way I get funky smells and ammonia!
  • I didn't read all the comments, but sounds like yeast to me.  Yeast lives in cloth for a long time, so you can re-infect over and over.  If you wash on hot with a 1/2 tsp of tea tree oil and 20 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract, it should kill it off. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • He has had a yeast rash before, this is not similar to that. 

CC 10/2005
    NC 11/2009
    DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"