December 2013 Moms

Any Junior Leaguers???

Was just wondering if there are any JLs here? Thinking of joining but just wondering what those whom are past or present members think of the organization. Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks.

Re: Any Junior Leaguers???

• Just wondering about time commitments? Monitary expectations?

• I am not a fan of JL personally and I'm a former member of one of the largest ones in the country. I personally don't think if you are looking to do it bc you want to volunteer in your community that you need it to do that. If you are looking to make friends? Sure, you'll meet some people. The money commitment was around $200 each year for us, plus when you're a provisional we had to buy a case of cookbooks. The time commitment is far more, depending on what placement you do for the year. I probably worked 100 plus hours on my placements, but 8 hours of shift work, when it's supposed to be like 20 for your placement? But I always picked the large events bc I enjoy stuff like that. What ultimately made me quit without finishing my years was that they are quick to penalize you for not doing the bare minimum but if you go above and beyond you get no credit for it. I missed a mtg at the end of the year and I paid the fine instead of donating to the garage sale we have bc I didn't have anything to donate for my quota. Well, missing two things got me put on probation for this year and means a bunch of silly stuff. We'll I went above and beyond for my placement last year and also helped host/plan/decorate a luncheon for our community partners for no other reason than a friend of mine asked me to help. They wouldn't count it as shift work or an optional credit or use it to erase my missed mtg. After that, I decided I have better things to do with my time and money.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies, it's good to hear both sides of the scenario.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"