Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

puffy coats in car seats?

Now that she's in  a regular car seat, can she wear puffy coats in them? Was that prohibition just for infant seats? Or should I get her a light coat, and then one for outdoor play? I feel like I've seen toddlers in puffy coats getting out of car seats, so maybe this is a stupid question.

TTC since October 2009
2 failed IUIs with Clomid
IVF #1, ER 10/29/2011
ET 11/3/2011
One embryo transferred, four frozen
11/12/2011, BFP, 11/13/2011, BFP, 11/14/2011, BFP
First Beta 11/14/2011, 499
Second Beta 11/16/2011, 893
Third Beta 11/18/2011, 1510

Lost my dear husband, October 3, 2012. You are the bear of my heart dear, and nothing can take that away.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: puffy coats in car seats?

• eyenigheyenigh member
    edited September 2013
    Puffy coats are not safe in any carseat... they aren't safe in a toddler seat for the same reasons they are not safe in an infant carseat...one cannot outgrow the fact that a compressible coat is like not having the straps tight enough at all. 

Just because other parents do it, doesn't mean its safe...

This.

This is kind of interesting to check out: https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522 One of the members showed their child strapped in properly in a puffy coat but then removed the coat, put the child back in and showed just how much slack there was. It's pretty eye opening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Aren't coats a 'no no' for any safety belt? not just in a car seat. I only takes a few seconds to take the coat off before you buckle LO and yourself in. 
  • Loading the player...
  • No puffy coats.  A lightweight fleece is OK.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Puffy coats are not safe in any carseat... they aren't safe in a toddler seat for the same reasons they are not safe in an infant carseat...one cannot outgrow the fact that a compressible coat is like not having the straps tight enough at all. 

Just because other parents do it, doesn't mean its safe...
    Yep, all of this. It has everything to do with the straps needing to fit tightly. Use a lightweight coat and put a heavier coat or blanket over once she's strapped in.

• www.cozywoggle.com a teacher invented and patented a jacket specifically for car seats. It's amazing!
  • We do a sweatshirt, and just keep the coat in the car when we get to places. I also always have blankets in the car to cover LO. No thick puffy coat.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Um, okay thanks. Since my husband died I haven't had time to do all the hardcore research I was doing before. I did ask another widow about this who happens to be a pediatrician, and she had never heard of the issue, probably because she lives in a warm climate. DD does have a puffy coat and she will definitely need it to play outside as it gets very cold here.  

TTC since October 2009
    2 failed IUIs with Clomid
    IVF #1, ER 10/29/2011
    ET 11/3/2011
    One embryo transferred, four frozen
    11/12/2011, BFP, 11/13/2011, BFP, 11/14/2011, BFP
    First Beta 11/14/2011, 499
    Second Beta 11/16/2011, 893
    Third Beta 11/18/2011, 1510

Lost my dear husband, October 3, 2012. You are the bear of my heart dear, and nothing can take that away.

• A friend posted this article on FB
  • DawnLilly said:
    Oh good grief Charlie Brown https://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/149235/the_important_winter_car_seat#share_icons Can somebody make this clicky?
    Thanks for posting this, Dawn. I think this is something that's very important, but for some reason is not widespread knowledge, like the baby carriers on top of shopping carts. I wish the information was more readily available to new mothers who probably had no idea. I didn't know about the baby carrier on the shopping cart and actually did it a few times before reading about it on The Bump. Never again! Why don't pediatricians and hospitals tell us this?!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Meery82 said:
    DawnLilly said:
    Oh good grief Charlie Brown https://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/149235/the_important_winter_car_seat#share_icons Can somebody make this clicky?
    Thanks for posting this, Dawn. I think this is something that's very important, but for some reason is not widespread knowledge, like the baby carriers on top of shopping carts. I wish the information was more readily available to new mothers who probably had no idea. I didn't know about the baby carrier on the shopping cart and actually did it a few times before reading about it on The Bump. Never again! Why don't pediatricians and hospitals tell us this?!
    They really don't have a clue about most of this stuff. They are trained to deal w/ medical issues not safety issues, not parenting decisions. 

They should be. The hospital doesn't let you leave without a car seat. They can mention puffy coats.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"