Cloth Diapering

starting cloth diapers

My LO has now graduated to newborn diapers and I want to start using cloth diapers. Any suggestions on brands to start with and stay away from? From everything I read it looks like it will be trial and error until I find the right fit.  Any advice would be helpful I did some researched and now am more confused than before I started.

Re: starting cloth diapers

• It seems overwhelming at first!

I really like BumGenius, AMP, TotsBots, Blueberry and Thirsties.

Getting a diaper trial might be your best bet because then you can try a few different brands/types and see what you like.

I ended up buying 1-2 each of a few brands and then buying more of what I liked.  There was only one brand that I really did not like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My advice would be to start with a dozen newborn size prefolds from GMD.  Get a bummis super brite cover, a thirsties cover, and a rumparooz lil joey cover (we loved all three as far as fit, but the thirsties aplix is pretty awful so find some with snaps!).

Also, some kawaii pure & natural pocket diapers (they typically fit from newborn until 20ish pounds).  

You'll have 2 different systems to try, and will spend minimal money.  If you end up liking prefolds/covers, you can purchase more as you go.  If you like the pocket style, you can invest in some OS in whatever brand(s) you choose.

If they're just fitting into newborn diapers right now though,  OS pockets and AIOs won't fit yet.  Most babies don't fit into them until at least 4 weeks old.  My DD didn't fit until 8 weeks because she doesn't have chunky thighs to fill out the leg holes.
  • Loading the player...
  • I really like my gmd prefolds with a flip or swaddlebee Capri cover. Both of these covers have a flap on the front and back, so I I trifold and tuck in the ends under the flaps. I have only bough the covers when they were on sale or seconds. I also have a handful of bg freetimes that work well too. For nighttime, I use bg 4.0 with one microfiber and one hemp insert. If my routine is out of whack, I have a hemp prefold that I trifold and place in one of the covers and that has worked great too.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do a diaper trial. Jillians drawers has one. Also the only diapers I suggest staying away from is baby land and baby city. Those are awful. Alvababy.com has cheap but I think they are amazing diapers. I went through phases. I loved prefolds and covers for a while. Now I love my pockets. I'd prob love aio but I refuse to pay that much money on my almost 14 month old. Maybe the next baby. They'd be convenient for babysitters and daddy.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"