Trouble TTC

Low antral follicle count?

NootbarNootbar member
edited September 2013 in Trouble TTC
So we saw the RE Thursday, and I'm still processing everything he said. He did a transvaginal ultrasound and counted 11 total resting follicles (both sides). It looked like I ovulated from my left ovary last month. He didn't say anything negative about my AFC but after googling the numbers, I feel mine is low for a 37 year old. Many sources said the average for a woman my age is 15-30. They also did a progesterone draw and it was 18. They said that's good because it means I ovulated on my own. I was about 11 days post ovulation for the ultrasound and blood draw? I wonder if that timing affects the AFC.... but sources I read said that number stays constant no matter where you are in your cycle. It's just a matter of whether the technician could see all the follicles. I'm a little overweight too- could that affect it? I just wish that number was more encouraging. He did say it's good I have more than 10 because "10 is the minimum we want to see." AF is due tomorrow. I will have cycle day three tests this week and an hsg (SCARED) on day 6-10. In other news, DH has plenty of swimmers. So the problem is me.

*Ticker/Siggy Warning*

Me: 37 DH: 38 TTC since 2011 DH normal Dx: DOR (AFC ranges from 6-11; AMH 0.16; FSH 11.9; E2 45) 11/13: 1st IVF converted to IUI due to poor response to high dose antagonist protocol (only 3 follies) = BFN 12/13: IUI #2 letrozole + Bravelle = BFP, beta #1 156, beta #2 196 (diff. lab), beta #3 1037; 1st ultrasound @ 5 wks 1 day = 6 mm gest sac; 2nd ultrasound 6 wks 1 day = tiny flickering heartbeat; 3rd ultrasound 7 wks 1 day 10.3 mm embie growing away! 

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Low antral follicle count?

• 11 for 37 is not too bad, it def. not DOR. And since the AFC should be done on cd3 I dont know if doing it at the back half of a cycle effects counts. And a p4 at 11dpo of 18 is great. While my hsg was painful its really quick, ony two minutes of pain. Good luck moving forward.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• My RE also said that they like to see at least 10. It's the total picture that matters and it doesn't sound like you know what the total picture is. FWIW, I'm 32. My AFC was 21, my LH and FSH were normal, but my AMH was 1.2 which is borderline low for my age. I was devastated by my AMH level, but my RE was not concerned given my others levels. So hang in there and good luck! Also, my HSG was just like a pap and I was terrified of it, too
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't be too worried until you have all the information: AFC on day 3, FSH, LH, AMH, and a cycle of response to drugs. I have an extremely low AFC, elevated FSH, and undetectable AMH. But I had a great response last cycle to meds, so I'm holding out hope. Good luck with your testing this cycle!
    Pregnancy Ticker

TTC #1 since June 2012
    Me (28) - DOR (AFC <10, undetectable AMH, >10 FSH), homozygous E429A MTHFR
    DH (29) - MFI low count and morphology

September 2013 IUI#1 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    October 2013 IUI#2 - Letrozole + Menopur + Trigger + IUI = BFN

Nov 2013 IVF/ICSI #1 - Protocol: BCP prep, high doses Menopur and Bravelle (12 days), ganirelex
    Results: 5 retrieved / mature, 4 fertilized, 1 arrested and 3 complex abnormal after day 3 PGS = Cancelled after ER
    Jan/Feb 2014 IVF/ICSI #2 - Protocol: Estrogen priming, high doses Menopur and Bravelle (11 days), microdose lupron
    Results: Cancelled after 11 days of stims due to low response and E2 levels
    Feb 2014 IVF/ICSI #3 - Protocol: No prep, low dose Menopur (6 days), ganirelex, Bravelle booster with trigger
    Results: 1 retrieved / 0 mature = Cancelled after ER

Officially moving on to embryo adoption! We used and love Embryo Adoption Services of Cedar Park
    October 2014 FET #1 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 4 from match #1, BFN
    December 2014 FET #2 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 4 from match #1, BFN
    March 2015 FET #3 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 6 from match #2, BFN
    May 2015 FET #4 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, lost 2 to thaw, transferred 2 of 6 from match #2, BFN
    October 2015 FET #5 - Natural cycle, lost 1 from match #3 and 1 from clinic backup to thaw, transferred 1 backup, BFN
    February 2016 FET #6 - Natural cycle, transferred 1 from match #4, B FREAKING P!
    Beta 1 = 162, Beta 2 = 316, doubling just over 48 hours

• I wouldn't say 11 was low. My RE likes to see at least 5 in each ovary. Also, don't think it's just you. Just because his SA is fine doesn't mean there aren't issues with the sperm getting to the egg or through the egg. I just switched REs recently and one thing my new RE did was stop me from thinking there's something wrong with me. Don't be hard on yourself about this, it doesn't make things any easier. Plus the entire picture is key like previous posters have said.

HSG isn't that bad and it's over in a snap. You'll be fine. Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"