Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Here's my story

In another post I asked for others who have taken methotrexate how it went for them. Now I will share my story.

My partner and I have been in fertility treatment for a year now. After two failed IUIs, we were going to progress to IVF. However, I was in a car accident and required months of rehabilitation before I could try again. Finally, in August we were able to try IVF. We were very confident about it and prayed that it would work.

A few days before my beta hCG, I cheated and took a hpt. I was so excited when I saw the positive line that I start calling my partner non stop at work until she answered. We both thought that this was finally it. When I took my first beta test, my hCG was 86.7, which my RE said was a little lower than she liked. Two days later I took another test, and my levels doubled to 173. I was ecstatic.

Two days later, with my third beta, I received that dreaded news: my hCG had fallen to 116. I was told to stop my hormone supplements and wait to miscarry. I was absolutely devastated. Two more days, and my hCG was 75. By this point I had started developing severe pains on my right side. My RE said it was most likely cramps from the miscarriage.

I was finally seen by my RE two days after my last hCG. A team of doctors at my fertility clinic were unable to find anything on ultrasound. They said it was probably pelvic inflammation and to rest for a couple days. To be safe, however, they ordered another hCG test. This time it was 194. The next day it was 226. The doctors thought the pregnancy could be ectopic and recommended methotrexate to terminate.

I was in shock and disbelief at this point. I had already made peace with the miscarriage, but then this wrench was thrown into things. I received my first dose of methotrexate on September 22, 2013. By Tuesday morning, I was doubled over in pain. My RE sent me straight to the ER. Once again nothing could be found. On Wednesday, the 25th, I had my second injection.

By now the pain in my right side was progressing to the point where I had to take 2 Percocet every 4 hours. I was referred to a women's gynecological surgery center for evaluation on Thursday. The doctor I met with wanted to do surgery the same day, but it was too late in the day to get me on the schedule. I was scheduled for first thing yesterday (Friday) morning.

I had a laparoscopic procedure. The pregnancy was finally found in my right Fallopian tube. Both the fetus and tube were removed. Now I'm not only trying to recover from a miscarriage, but I'm also trying to recover from the nonviable pregnancy that wanted to hang on for as long as possible and the surgery itself. This was my very first pregnancy with some terrible results. My partner and I are hoping to heal and try again soon. However, I'm scared that the same thing will happen again.

So that's my story. I hope other women out there will find some peace knowing they are not alone in the plight of pregnancy loss. I know the stories others shared have helped me these past couple weeks.

Re: Here's my story

• Oh I am so sorry you had to go through all that. Losses are hard enough without adding surgery into the mix. I am glad you gave us this update. I have been thinking of you. I wish you a quick recovery and peace and comfort for you and your partner.
    BabyFruit Ticker   image
    05/31/1997: Married DH - Began TTC right away | 08/2002: Diagnosed with PCOS, Endometriosis
    10/05/2005: Adpoted DS - Funniest boy ever!
    09/2007: Ectopic with rupture - lost right tube | 09/2012: Ectopic - saved the left tube
    08/05/2013: BFP not ectopic | EDD: 4/22/2014 | 09/15/2013: Miscarried at home
    Underwent Gastric Bypass 01/06/2014 to help with PCOS and weight.  Lost 186 lbs - had to TTA for 1 year
    Burned the bench 01/20/15 - Medicated Cycle with Clomid and HCG trigger shot on 02/08/2015
    ++++ BFP 2/17/18 ++++  EDD 10/26/2015
    "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." ~ Romans 15:13 
  • Thank you both for your thoughts and prayers. We both now feel able to move on from this nightmare. And we hope to be able to try again soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"