Self-Weaning (9.5 months) — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Self-Weaning (9.5 months)

I BF my other 2 kids to over a year of age. At the end it was just morning/night, but at least they got something. DS wouldn't take a bottle due to reflux issues and he wasn't a great eater, so I nursed him really even longer than I would have liked.

This baby is totally different. She stopped taking bottles pretty early on (5 months?) but continued nursing. We'd mix some milk into her food during the day.She just got less and less interested in nursing and has only been having a couple feedings a day. I'm sure not coincidentally, she's also a HUGE eater of "real food." WAY more into it than the other two. There hasn't really been a food she doesn't like and right from the very start she gobbled everything up. 

I quit pumping at work a month or so ago figuring, fine, we'll just go down to a morning/night kind of schedule and keep going for another couple months until close to a year. Well, she got even less interested and now has had a cold the last few days and I think my supply is practically down to zero. She'll kind of try here and there, but only for a few sucks, and then she just quits. I feel bad b/c I wanted to nurse longer, but on the other hand, I am really not willing to add pumping sessions and work super hard at this. I have two other small children, a house renovation, am working, etc and if this isn't flowing along naturally I just can't throw tons and tons of time and effort into it. 

I guess I am not sure whether to just go with this and fully wean, or whether it's worth giving it another week or so of letting her try to nurse when interested. Again, I don't know if she's even getting anything and whether or not doing this would actually produce more milk. Anyone else dealing with this at this age?

We will mix frozen milk/formula into her meals until she gets better at drinking from a cup (we're working on that).
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Self-Weaning (9.5 months)

• Just to clarify - has she been getting bottles at all?  From what I'm reading it sounds like she is only nursing twice a day and that's it?  If that's the case, she either needs more BM or formula - Even if she's taking a big feed and getting 10-12 ounces from those two sessions, that's not adequate for a 9 month old who should still be getting the majority of her calories from BM (or formula).

By cutting back so much you have started the weaning process.  If you feel done, that's ok of course!  But she will need to take more like 24 ounces of BM or formula a day for a while yet, even if that means cutting back on her solids so she'll take it.

I do think if you want to continue nursing that adding in nursing and pumping sessions will get you more of a supply again - and that she will likely come back around.
  • no bottles. I've been concerned about amount of milk recently also so we have been mixing a couple ounces of formula into some food with each meal (after she tries to nurse). This am for breakfast she had some Rice Krispies with formula (and several other things). Her pedi says 10 to 15 ounces is the minimum per day.

I think I'll keep trying a little longer.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, yes, I am realizing we slid into a really bad pattern for a variety of reasons. We are working on increasing milk intake. I got her to take a morning bottle after nursing the past couple days but still couldn't get her to take one in the afternoon. The nanny is going to try again today and I'm going to add a pumping session back into my work day (booo).
  • PS She does drink water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards