April 2013 Moms

My mom is pissing me off!!!!!!

So when LO was born I told my mom that I wanted her to get a car seat base since she would be picking him up, babysitting, etc. she said " oh I don't need one. We can just wrap the seat belt around his car seat." I said ok and went along with it and he has only ridden in her car about 3 times. But now he is starting to ride with her more often, and I still don't feel comfortable with him riding without a base. So I brought it up again to her the other night and she says "well you shouldn't have to buy another one, and I'm not buying one. So he'll just have to ride without it". And I'm pissed! Why am I not being taken seriously!? She's babysitting this weekend, and picking him up on the 8th of October.....so I guess I'm spending the $60 for a base. Grrrrr

Re: My mom is pissing me off!!!!!!

• We also wanted LO in a base as opposed to just strapped in so we bought an extra base. I didn't think they should have to buy it when they are already babysitting my kid.

• ClandestineXClandestineX member
    edited September 2013
    I have heard that the LATCH system in car seats are not much safer than just the seat belt installation. I think they are about the same when it comes to the actual safety in a crash. I think the one reason why people see it as better is because it is easier to install and a lot of people who do not use the base install the seat belts incorrectly (too loose, use the wrong seat belt latch, etc.)

I can see why you would want them to use it though! It is not really hard to install something when it is just a click lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The LATCH vs seatbelt has nothing to do with the presence of the base.  The base is what hooks into LATCH or with the seatbelt (either way is fine).  What the OP is talking about is that you can also literally just use the belt to hold down the infant seat itself, without it locking into anything else. The infant seat is resting directly on the carseat.  I've only done this in extreme. emergency type situations. 

So OP - just spend the money if it's important to you.  Our parents barely had carseats at all for us, so she's used to her own previous experience.  But there are way more cars on the road now and speeds have increased.  She also shouldn't have to make the purchase, but she also has no say in what you spend your money on, so don't get pissed off, just do it.  She'll love how easy it is to click in place.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Can y buy a convertible car seat for her car and then u can just take it back when that time comes so u r getting something g that will b used longer instead of getting the base?
  • I wouldn't expect my parents to buy a base.  If I want them to have one, I would buy it for them myself.

I will say though, at this point I would just buy a convertible car seat for them and not waste the money on a base.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, I would buy it myself if someone was taking care of Connor. I seem to be overly tired and can't read.

• I should have been more clear in my original post. I'm not pissed that she won't buy it. I'm pissed that I don't feel like my feelings on the matter are being taken seriously. I have no problem buying it. I just don't feel like she's taking me seriously.
  • I should have been more clear in my original post. I'm not pissed that she won't buy it. I'm pissed that I don't feel like my feelings on the matter are being taken seriously. I have no problem buying it. I just don't feel like she's taking me seriously.
    I would just straight up tell her that if she doesn't take your child's safety into consideration then you will just be forced to get a provider that will listen to you... If there is any way, show her how many kids die each year from car accidents and tell her you aren't questioning her driving skills, you are questioning the driving skills of others around her when she is driving.

• I guess I still don't understand.  You are pissed that she doesn't want to buy it. Based on what you wrote, I do not see how she is not taking you seriously.

If you said you bought her a base and she refused to use it, maybe I would understand. 

• Or, you know, you could just take the base out of your car while she is watching him.  Not like you will need it while he is with your mother.
  • My MIL is against the base for some reason too. She also hates latch so when I install our seat in her car I just use the belt.  Thankfully I got a convertible seat for my birthday so we don't need to fight over the infant seat anymore. 

I have found that many of my friend's parents are frustratingly laissez-faire about car seat safety. They just don't get it. 
    If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.-Douglas Adams
  • I'm confused. Y'all know that installing a bucket seat without a base is just as safe, right? It is more time consuming, but as long as the seat belt is locked and pulled tight, it's just as safe.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I'm confused. Y'all know that installing a bucket seat without a base is just as safe, right? It is more time consuming, but as long as the seat belt is locked and pulled tight, it's just as safe.
    Lol, my thoughts exactly.

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

I was so confused that I had to google it because I've always thought it was just as safe

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think a lot of grandparents are car seat ignorant. My mom is firmly convinced we are going to stunt our son's growth or something because we have him still rear facing at 2 with no immediate plans to switch him. I've explained that AAP recommends at least age 2, dangers of early FF, etc. but she's focused on his "cramped legs." Whatever.

OP, maybe you can just show her how to safely install it with the seatbelt alone so she knows to pull it until it locks, carseat handle is where it's supposed to be, etc?
  • We aren't idiots thank you

I had to put my kids in their car seats and tighten the straps appropriately because MIL couldn't figure out how to loosen and tighten them. There's no way I'd trust her to install the infant seat without the base. I think the issue is that having the base installed makes it more likely that the seat is installed correctly each time.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Angela814 said:
    I'm confused. Y'all know that installing a bucket seat without a base is just as safe, right? It is more time consuming, but as long as the seat belt is locked and pulled tight, it's just as safe.
    I had to put my kids in their car seats and tighten the straps appropriately because MIL couldn't figure out how to loosen and tighten them. There's no way I'd trust her to install the infant seat without the base. I think the issue is that having the base installed makes it more likely that the seat is installed correctly each time.
    Absolutely, it does. It goes for anything - the more you do something, the more you increase your chances of doing it wrong. The way this whole thread read, however, was as if installing without a base was wrong or unsafe or something.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• We aren't idiots thank you

Ha
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"