Breastfeeding

Feel like a failure

I know I don't post much but I just needed to vent. My daughter is 8 weeks old and when we went to the doctor today she still weighed the same as she did two weeks ago! I am completely freaking out and am afraid I will have to stop breastfeeding. We have to go back next week to see if anything has changed. I feel like I'm failing her, what a crappy way to start the weekend. Hope you ladies are having a better Friday than I am!

Re: Feel like a failure

• We're her appointments today and 2 weeks ago at the same time of day? Sometimes that can make a big difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a slow grower too. Don't give up yet!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another piece of advice I've seen is look at the baby not the scale. Does your baby seem healthy? Did she have earlier rapid weight gain? And now just slowing down?

I would nurse as much as possible. And most pedi offices would let you weigh your baby without a visit. So you could try and go do your own weight check / maybe do a weighed feeding there. If you don't have another place to do one.

Hang in there and don't feel like a failure!
  • LaurenS20LaurenS20 member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the support and advice ladies! I by no means plan on giving up breastfeeding, I'm just afraid that I would have to if she isn't gaining adequately.

Her appointment was at the same time, just hoping that maybe the person who weighed her two weeks ago made a mistake since she is eating every 1.5-2 hours during the day and at night. I've never consulted an LC or done a weighed feed so I will have to look into that.
  • I also don't think this means the end of breastfeeding - but I do think you need some breastfeeding management/intervention. IMO it's time to see an LC and have latch and intake evaluated or go to a BFing support group meeting where you can have a weighed feeding.

How often is baby eating and for how long per nursing session? How many wet and dirty diapers? Are you hearing baby's swallows?

If you decide to supplement until the weight gain issues are sorted out, be sure to pump after every feeding taken by a bottle to keep up or increase your supply. It may be worth considering the rental of a hospital grade pump.

Be kind to yourself and hang in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"