Breastfeeding

Question for EPers + supplementing

How do you handle giving bottles out of the house? LO likes warm bottles (til now he was EBF but wasn't gaining weight). Do I put hot water in a bottle to add formula to later? Or add it right away? Thaw BM and put it in the bottle or separate? Just wondering what people do!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage

Re: Question for EPers + supplementing

• thawed milk and mixed formula are only good for one hour after warming.  When DS was little I would pump to replace a feeding right before going somewhere (or pump in the car) and give that because fresh milk is good up to 5 hours.  Once he was older, and now with DD since I am able to primarily nurse, I use refrigerated milk (good for two hours) and take it out of the cooler about 20-30 minutes before feeding.  when I used formula it was always room temp water.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• I always did formula when we were out and about. I didn't want to deal with thawing bags. I personally wouldn't mix BM and formula in case LO doesn't take the full bottle.. I got her used to room temp so that I didn't have to deal with hot water nonsense.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • L&R70707 said:
    thawed milk and mixed formula are only good for one hour after warming.  When DS was little I would pump to replace a feeding right before going somewhere (or pump in the car) and give that because fresh milk is good up to 5 hours.  Once he was older, and now with DD since I am able to primarily nurse, I use refrigerated milk (good for two hours) and take it out of the cooler about 20-30 minutes before feeding.  when I used formula it was always room temp water.
    False.  Thawed milk is good for 24 hours after thawing, regardless of warming and cooling again.
    If your LO only takes warm bottles, then ask for a cup of hot water at a restaurant to warm the bottle, or buy one of those instant heat bottle warmer things. 
    I can't help for the formula, but I wouldn't mix because you can reoffer BM and can't reoffer formula.
    Really?  Sitting out over an hour at room temperature?  I always thought refrigerated could be rechilled once, but thawed was a one shot deal.  Good to know.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"