1st Trimester

Oh, how far I've fallen - how to get back in shape after 1st tri fatigue?

Before this pregnancy I was running ~4-5mi a few days a week at a 9:30mi/min pace and lifting as well. Nothing spectacular, but it was comfortable. Very soon into this pregnancy, even more than last time, I have been almost unable to exercise. I get so winded and am generally struggling. On top of that, I got the nasty respiratory bug that's going around, so I haven't done anything for the past week. In short, I am now able to hobble along at a 12min/mi pace for a whopping half mile at best before I have to walk, then repeat a few times. I am not worried about weight (pretty thin already) but do want to stay in shape to keep up with my crazy toddler and for the pregnancy. I'm once of those people that really has to push hard to regain any fitness, though, and I don't want to put the baby at risk. Any ideas? I am really bummed at the prospect of just walking this pregnancy...

Re: Oh, how far I've fallen - how to get back in shape after 1st tri fatigue?

• I hear ya.  With my first, I hardly did any working out.  Wanted to, but by the time I was out of first tri, I was out of the habit and didn't really get back into it till he was a few months old.  With my second, I didn't do much first tri, but was way better second and third.  I just lowered the intensity. I run some, but get bored so I do other cardio as well.  I did the bike till my belly got in the way.   :P  Also, walked, elliptical and stairclimber if I was really feeling it.  I kept lifting weights, just lowered most of them, especially the lower body.  By the end, I wasn't using weight for squats/lunges.  Didn't need it with 30+ extra pounds.  Also, yoga.  I love it, especially when I'm pregnant.  I did it once/week till the end of my second pregnancy, usually at the gym, but sometimes at home with my prenatal video.  I'm 10 weeks right now and itching to get back, but I've only got the energy for 1 day/week, even then, if I push too hard I end up feeling extra nauseas for a couple days.  I hope you find something that works for you!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BFP 5/12/13 mmc 6/14/13

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hit 13 weeks this week and started jogging again.  Just taking it slow and steady.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsPedersenMrsPedersen member
    edited September 2013
    I'll be at 12 weeks on Saturday and am just now getting my energy back. I was exercising 5-6 days a week before I found out. I have started doing pre-natal workouts on FitSugar and also walking. The most important thing is not to push yourself too hard, just do what feels right.
  • I'm 17 weeks and I started getting a lot of my energy back a few weeks ago... I was so tired during my 1st trimester that I was unable to walk up the stairs without needing to sit down after! I was alway very active before I got pregnant but I just couldn't keep anything going once the morning sickness kicked in, then there was the fatigue! Just today I got out and was able to take my dog on a hike after not really doing anything all this time! It was exciting and it felt good. I wasn't overly tired after (although now too much activity kicks my sciatica into gear). Bottom line, you should get to the point where you will catch up to where you were! Just take it slow and you should be fine :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • There's nothing wrong with walking!!  Really anything that gets you out there and moving is great for you.  You may find you are able to add back in more running - and if not, just walk.  Listen to your body and you'll be fine.  If you swim, that's great too.  The elliptical is also great if you have access to one.  Although I think it's super important to keep exercising, don't have unrealistic expectations about what your pregnant body can do compared to your non-pregnant one.
  • I've been getting so winded too just from doing a small amount of exercise.  I'm trying just to do a little something each day and hopefully in a few weeks I'll get my energy back and be more motivated to exercise!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks, ladies. I ran up to week 37 with DD, and I felt great. I was really hoping to keep that up this time. I don't have anything against walking, but it just takes a lot more time (something I'm quite short on) to get in a decent workout.

• I used to bike 8-12 hours a week along with strength workouts and biking to work each day (another 5hrs a week). I'm 11weeks and starting to get some of my energy back. I've been doing yoga, strength and riding to work...but to much else. I'm excited to start riding my bike more as I get my energy back.
    image image

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"