November 2012 Moms

Greek yogurt vs YoBaby

I've heard some of you say that you've given LO yogurt. Is "YoBaby" that much different than a natural, non-sweetened, (no artificial sweetener) Greek yogurt? I buy the big containers of plain Greek yogurt for me, and I like the idea of being able to share that with DS. But the doctor specifically recommended YoBaby. Thoughts?

Re: Greek yogurt vs YoBaby

• We have done plain Greek yogurt and yo baby. I wonder if the doctor suggested YoBaby just because it is easily recognized?  D doesn't seem to have much of a preference of one over the other.

I do know that YoBaby is more like regular yogurt taste/consistency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • FWIW, Yo Baby is exactly the same stuff as the Stonyfield plain, full-fat yogurt that comes in a big tub, it's just marketed for babies. The only real trouble I've had with greek yogurt is that it's sometimes hard to find the full fat / 4% version. As long as it's full-fat, it should be fine.
    kids with flags
  • Loading the player...
  • my local grocery store doesn't stock plain yobaby (only flavored like vanilla and blueberry), and I don't want to give LO sweet yogurt yet (the second ingredient in these is sugar).  So I buy the big tubs of Plain Organic Whole Milk Yogurt, and LO eats it plain.  She loves it, actually.

I think the only suggestion for giving yogurt to baby is that it be full-fat. 

Also, I personally think it should also be sugar-free and organic, but I think that is just me, not necessarily medically recommended. 

• Thank you all - I forgot about the full fat, but that's a good point. @fusionbride, I'm with you - I would rather not give him any food right now with excess sugar. I was looking at some of the puffs, yogurt melts, and pouches lately, and I try to find the no sugar added ones.
  • Maebb said:
    Thank you all - I forgot about the full fat, but that's a good point. @fusionbride, I'm with you - I would rather not give him any food right now with excess sugar. I was looking at some of the puffs, yogurt melts, and pouches lately, and I try to find the no sugar added ones.
    yeah, the baby food products are all very sweet-- even the ones without sugar added-- they often use apple or banana to make everything (even the vegetables) taste sweet.  So I go for Cheerios instead of Puffs, and compare labels on the pouches to aim for the ones that are lower in sugar/carbs and mostly veggies-- (the squash and pees pouch has 11g of carbs, while the banana and blueberry one has 25g!).  I still don't know what the nutritional benefit of the yogurt melts are, so have been avoiding those.

• Yo baby is so expensive. I buy a huge thing if full fat organic trader joes yogurt. Loves it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"