3rd Trimester

evening primrose

Hi ive had some rude ladies that hurt my feelings instead of just giving advice which is what im looking for. i have been 4cm dialated for 4 weeks and now im 70% thinned and i lost my bloddy show today and have had bad pains and my other two children were bothe born at 33 weeks and 37 weeks i will be 36 weeks this friday and i was reccommended to go get evening primrose pills and take them orally 2x a day and vaginally either 2x or 1x a day and i was just wondering the cost and how effective it is?? 

Re: evening primrose

• I got mine at whole foods and think it was like '$10. I actually bought it before pregnancy because heard it helps with PMS and then I got pregnant shortly after. I asked my MD last week about starting to take it again and she said there's no real good medical studies that show it helps with effacement. Boo! She said it won't hurt if I take it, but likely won't help anything along either. BUT this is just one MDs opinion. See what your MD suggests.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got mine at the local grocery store. I don't think it will do much for you now, its supposed to help soften the cervix. When I was trying to induce labor I would insert 2 vaginally every other day, alternating with having sex with DH. Didn't help though.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• 36 weeks is way too soon to try to do anything like this.  I know you're uncomfortable with your situation, but it is best for your baby to cook a little longer.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• so I bought it off Amazon.  Its an "add-on item" and so if you have $25 worth of add-on items it will ship free! :) But online though amazon it was $8.46. 
  • MrsQuealeMrsQueale member
    edited September 2013
    I was advised against EPO, and was told that if I felt I needed help with my cervix... to try borage oil but to wait until I was full term.

Your body seems to know what it's doing and has already started the process. Why rush it, a pregnancy is usually 40+ weeks anyway.
    imageimage    
    imageimage
  • 36 weeks is too early to be worrying about getting labor started, but NOT too early to start EPO.  It's probably perfect timing.  EPO doesn't induce labor, it just aids in softening the cervix to help things progress more smoothly when labor does start.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont see where she said she wanted to get labor started. Maybe I missed another post? The EPO helps soften your cervix, and also helps during delivery with tearing. I think she knows it wont induce labor or she would just try all the other things that are suppose to induce labor. 70% thinned is good..still have 30% to go. 36w is a normal time to start taking EPO so I dont see the issue. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When people take EPO they recommend that you start taking them orally at 35-36w so she isnt even doing this too early. I must be missing something or you ladies who keep saying "let the baby stay in longer" dont know how to read...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My midwife told me that if my baby is head down at 36 weeks that I can start taking EPO. She doesn't do cervical checks or strip membranes and recommended the EPO to help with efacement and softening. She said she's had more luck with patients taking EPO than with cervical stripping.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Binks565 said:
    When people take EPO they recommend that you start taking them orally at 35-36w so she isnt even doing this too early. I must be missing something or you ladies who keep saying "let the baby stay in longer" dont know how to read...
    I disagree, the reasons she is listing would make pretty much anyone believe she is wanting to take them to speed up labor. 
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"