Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding while sick

I think I am sick with tonsilitis. Is this type of infection passed to babies through breastfeeding? Is there any common illness (cold, flu, etc) that's passed through the milk?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding while sick

• The antibodies will pass through the milk, but not the infection. However, those things can still be passed through contact such as hands just like with any child.
  • The antibodies will pass through the milk, but not the infection. However, those things can still be passed through contact such as hands just like with any child.
    This.  BF while sick is a good thing as you pass on antibodies against the infection to LO. It helps protect LO.
  • Loading the player...
  • won't be passed through the milk.  but be sure you wash your hands frequently and that you don't breathe/cough on baby.  My doc recommended wearing a mask for the first few days of an illness when you are most contagious to be on the safe side.

And definitely keep BFing-- the one time I got mastitis was when I had DH taking care of the baby while I was super sick, and he fed her frozen milk so I could sleep, and missing those feedings really screwed up my boobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"