High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone on lovenox or heparin

So I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung) in 2007 and because of that I need to take lovenox injections until 32 weeks
then switch to heparin injections at that point. My doctor told me today that I may be induced at 39 weeks so they can control when I deliver so I can stop taking the blood thinners for 24 hours. My first pregnancy I was told that I would be induced then last minute they said I would not but both my doctors have been changed. Wondering if anyone else is on blood thinners and if they also will be induced a week early??

Re: Anyone on lovenox or heparin

• Yes, I have been on Lovenox, switching to Heparin this week.  I am expecting to be induced when appropriate, but no later than 39 weeks.  It does make for a more controlled situation.

Good luck!
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I wonder why my doctors changed their mind with my first son?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I am on lovenox for a history of DVT and it has always been my understanding that I will be induced. I think it's pretty standard practice to do just as PP stated- switch to Heparin a few weeks prior to a scheduled induction. I think it is better for all involved to have as much control as possible. Plus, I want to make sure I can get that epidural!!!!
  • I just had my second child with being on Lovenox throughout pregnancy. The plan through both was to deliver by 39 weeks. With my first, they induced me just after 37 for other reasons. With this one, I had my RCS at 39 weeks on the dot. It seems to be pretty standard.
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies! I wonder why they didn't with my first!
  • 39 weeks for this one. I was induced on my due date with my DS but my new MFM wants to induce earlier this time around.

• Do any of your see a blood dr, too? Or just your regular OB and possibly an neonatologist?
    I have Factor V, and take Lovenox, and there has been no talk of switching to Heparin. Just talk of inducing a week early to control the last dose given. Has anyone had an INR done to see what your blood levels are? Has anyone had to have a c-section while being on the blood thinners? I'm curious as to how your experience went. I am 29weeks 1 day, my first pregnancy, and I'm just a little nervous about it all. 
  • BeesKnees181BeesKnees181 member
    edited October 2013
    I am on Lovenox and see a high-risk OB.  I am pregnant with twins and know I will deliver early.  Anyone deliver multiples on heparin?  Did you get an epidural?  Just wondering how soon I will have to switch to heparin...

• I was on lovenox for my entire pregnancy with my now 7 year old son born in 2006. I was induced at 37 weeks and 5 days and the delivery itself was pretty good and my doctors made the right call by inducing me. I would say whatever concerns or worries you may have to speak with your doctors candidly about it, so that way when you are induced or the time gets closer for you to deliver there will be no anxiety and you can just focus on delivering your baby. GOOD LUCK!
  • ShavlukShavluk member
    edited November 2013
    Hi. I was on Lovenox with my first pregnancy and now, again, with my second pregnancy (expecting twins).

I was switched at 36 weeks to Heparin. At 38 weeks, I was induced but we had to wait about 36 hours for the csection for the heparin to 'wear off'. It was not an emergancy csection, the delivery was not progressing so I am not sure if that matters. I just wanted you to be aware that the heparin solution is not as easy as they make it seem.
  • I'm on heparin for a clotting disorder that was found at 9wks pregnancy. My MFM has not decided yet if I'm going to be induced or not. However, he did tell me that heparin only has a 12 hr half life, so after being off of it for 12hrs I could have an epidural, or a c-section if necessary. Also, as a pp mentioned, they have others meds they can give you to counteract heparin if you spontaneously go into labor (they can't with lovenox).

Married 3/17/2005
    M/C #1 2005 - 6wks
    M/C #2 2006 - 7wks
    M/C #3 2008 - 11wks
    Baby Aeneas Born 1/20/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"