Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

diaper rash from hell not going away! even with med cream:(

I am taking LO back to the doctor in two days, but wanted to see if anyone has been through this...

LO had a diaper rash that was SUPER red and even got sores.  It went on and off for about two weeks. Just when I would say I was going to take him in, it would clear up, then come back, etc. Finally I took him in and got him a perscription.  It's been a week since he started the Rx and it got completely clear after a couple of days.  Now it came back today. The cream is applied three times per day and we have not skipped a single dose this week.  Even when it cleared up we kept going with the cream (as instructed). We change his diaper very regularly, allow for diaper free time. His diapers and wipes haven't changed, no new soap or detergent, and no changes or new intros in his diet.  I know the doc will probably tell me more but curious if anyone had any thoughts.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: diaper rash from hell not going away! even with med cream:(

• Options
    We've had a few bad diaper rashes. The best thing that worked for us was lots of air time, frequent changes and unscented/sensitive wipes (if you have scented wipes, the perfume could be irritating his already irritated bum) or a wet facecloth instead. For cream, I mix lanolin, Aquaphor (or vaseline) and a medicated cream (such as Penaten) in the palm of my hand and apply it generously. That mix is always what helps it clear quickly. 

GL, I hope it clears up!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Could be a milk sensativity. This sounds like what happened to our little guy exactly. After trying all the suggestions that have been given here, and medication for yeast, we stopped wcm and switched to soy and no more problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maalox mixed with anti fungal cream and triple paste works well for us. Also after bath air dry very well, we used a blowdryer on cool, then slather on the cream.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've had a few bad diaper rashes. The best thing that worked for us was lots of air time, frequent changes and unscented/sensitive wipes (if you have scented wipes, the perfume could be irritating his already irritated bum) or a wet facecloth instead. For cream, I mix lanolin, Aquaphor (or vaseline) and a medicated cream (such as Penaten) in the palm of my hand and apply it generously. That mix is always what helps it clear quickly. 

GL, I hope it clears up!
    This.  When LO has a bad rash we do some air time.  I put a couple of trash bags down with a blanket over them and let her hang out for a bit to make sure she is dry before putting the cream and another diaper on.  I also stop using wipes when she has a bad rash and just use a wash cloth with water.  The wipes seem to irritate her more and the rash takes longer to heal.
  • Options
    I would treat as yeast and apply lotramin with a top coating of desitin.
  • Options
    Apple cider vinegar. Add some to his bath water. And I also made home made wipes with a mixture of Apple cider vinegar and water. Cleared it right up
  • Options
    YOGURT!!! I want to shout it from the rooftops!  So, my children both had this same issue.  Diaper rashes I could NOT get to go away.  I thought daycare wasn't changing them enough, so I increased it to every hour, nothing.  I thought they were allergic to a food, tried to chase this mysterious food for months.  One day, they had the normal cold, so off to the dr we go.  Get the Rx, and go to the pharmacy to pick it up.  The pharmacist says to give them yogurt for the next 14 days.  Ok, but why?  Because when you give someone antibiotics, most of the time they don't have the good bacteria left in the stomaches, and that causes.... diaper rashes!!!  So, now my kids each get a cup of yogurt after dinner, which they LOVE, and I haven't seen a single diaper rash in 3 months!!! 

Long story short, I never would have known if I hadn't seen this one pharmacist, but now every mom I have told this to comes back saying that this worked for them, so good luck!!!!  And also note, it has to be a yogurt with ACTIVE cultures, they say on the package.  We switched between greek yogurt and regular yogurt, both work great!
  • Options
    also, for us, the diaper rash was severe, as in looked like chemical burns, bright red, oozing, and bumps one one child, and her twin wasn't nearly as bad, and would come and go over time.  It doesn't always present in the same way, just something to note!
  • Options
    I stop using wipes all together when my DD gets a rash, try cleaning him with a warm baby wash cloth and let him air dry, then apply the cream when he is completely dry. I hope it goes away soon, poor guy. 
  • Options
    I second the WCM possibility and the use of yogurt (probiotics type thing).  

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • Options
    Have you tried cloth diapers yet??  I know of a friend who had to switch because the same thing was happening.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    use a water bottle to rinse diaper area after change and pat completely dry. use lotrimin with a petroleum-based product over. Do not use triple paste or desitin (anything white) when yeast is in the picture. Soak in bath once a day and allow time to dry after. A&D, desitin or triple paste can be used once the yeast is gone.

Another tip- do not wipe off the cream with each diaper change, get most of the poop off and pat dry, it is very irritatating to the skin to do that several times a day, they are much better off with a tiny bit of poop left behind. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    The only thing that worked for us was changing to Seventh Generation diapers and using triple paste until it healed (the more triple paste, the better (be very generous--according to our pedi). 
  • Options
    Cornstarch in the bath has worked great for us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ihles paste

• Options
    Could be strep. Dd got a wicked strep infection at daycare. Nothing cleared it up until we had antibiotics. She had skin strep and throat strep. Poor little bug.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"