November 2013 Moms

Calling doctor when it's time

So I have been a little frustrated lately with my doctor's office.  They have a policy of going right to labor and delivery when labor starts.  Is this normal???  I think I will insist to my doctor that I need to be able to call her or another doctor.  I am an hour and a half away and would feel much more comfortable with support and told what to do when it is time.  (The practice is in the hospital which is why they may do this because a doctor may always there but still I would like to be able to communicate being so far away)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Calling doctor when it's time

• Kfran84Kfran84 member
    edited September 2013
    Mine wants me to call him when I'm headed in. He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call or text whenever.

At hospital Pre registration, they gave me the L&D nurses line. They said I can call with questions any time or if I'm questioning coming in to call them also.

So... can you get a phone number to L&D at the hospital?

ETA: Also, right when labor starts sounds odd, but you are 90 minutes away and I'm only 10 from mine. I won't head in until my contractions are 5-1-1... Or closer.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's normal. You can call labor and delivery when your on your way, they'll contact your Dr and answer any questions you have. Mine were super knowledgable and supportive

Image and video hosting by TinyPic              image 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • wendy2613 said:

That's normal. You can call labor and delivery when your on your way, they'll contact your Dr and answer any questions you have. Mine were super knowledgable and supportive

same way for me too. totally normal.
  • I'm sure your doctor will give you a set of parameters based on how far away your are. I hear a lot of offices are using the 5-1-1 rule now. But there really is no need for you to speak directly with the dr before you go in. Once you get there, the nurses will triage you then they will call Dr. to let him/her know what's going on and Dr will tell them how to proceed.
  • I have no clue what to expect this time as I was induced early with DS so I was scheduled to be at the hospital at a certain time. I'm kinda nervous to go into labor this time
  • I have not heard of going right into L&D. I have MWs so it might be a little different but with DD I called them as I progressed. I called when I felt like labor was starting, then I called them to let them know things were really starting to pick up, then finally I called when my water broke. At that point they told me to go L&D and they would call the hospital so nurse was waiting for us in triage.
  • I call my doctor first and she lets L&D know we are coming
  • My OB's office wants you to call and talk with them first. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB said the same thing. Just go in to L&D and they will take care of the rest.
  • Hee, hee.  I was told the 5-1-1 rule, but ended up going to the hospital after an hour of very active labor because my body skipped all that and went to the 2-½ rule that no one told me about.  So I had a very fast delivery but still labored 2 hrs in the hospital prior to pushing.  I had a number to call, but by then there's no talking to anyone - laborland!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• My OB office gave me a sheet that said they do want us to call the on call doctor first.. Even if it is just as we are on our way
  • My doctor says we get her cell number at 36 weeks to call when I go into labor, and not to go to the hospital until contractions are only 2-3 min apart consistently, but I only live 15 min from the hospital, im sure they would want me to leave earlier if we were 90 away.  
    CafeMom Tickers
  • I don't call my OB's office, but I do call L&D which I think is a pretty standard practice.
    TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB told me today to go in when I've had contractions 5 minutes apart for 2 hours. I live about an hour from the hospital. I should call when I've had contractions 5 min apart for 1 hour.
    Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Mine wanted me to call first so when my water broke I called, however, I went into labour on a Sunday morning. By the time they called back I was having massive contractions and was already in the car on the way to L&D, which was over an hour away. This time I'm going in first, I'll call the midwife on the way.
    photo bannernew_zpsfb1f0d0b.jpg

• They may have told you that because you're an hour away. They probably dont want to take any chances.
  • I was told to call my doctor and then they will call L&D to tell them I'm on my way in... not until the 5-1-1 rule though... then I can call L&D myself saying I'm this far away and have my whirlpool tub waiting for me :)
  • I'll call our nurse "baby" line. They will get in touch labor and delivery to give them a heads up and check in with the doctor on call. They go over your symptoms and help you decide when to come in.

With DD, my water broke, but I did not start contractions. I called and the doctor on call wanted me to come in right away. I'm assuming the process would be similar with a more normal labor.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The doctor gave me a packet on how they expect a normal vaginal delivery to go last visit and it said the 5-1-1 rule for going to L&D--it didn't say anything about calling the office first.  I honestly had just assumed I will head in at that point and go from there.
  • I'm feeling stupid since this is my 7th and I had to look up what a 5-1-1 rule meant for contractions.  I've never heard that one before!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"