December 2012 Moms
Options

Books for Baby

We were lucky enough to receive 10 - 12 books as gifts when Killian was born and initially, we could read the same one 3 nights in a row and he wouldn't care, thought it was fascinating every time. I've noticed in the last week that he's starting to get distracted during reading time, and he's less and less interested in the book. He will even try to grab the pages & turn them faster to get to the end. I'm thinking he can now recognize the stories and is ready for new material. I ordered some classic Dr. Suess off Amazon but I'd love to get some more ideas for good books to read to him. 

What is everyone reading to their LOs these days? 

We do have one book that I have only read to him once that I avoid reading at all costs... Love You Forever (with the baby in the middle of the trashed bathroom on the cover). Darn book makes me cry every time. I described the story to DH last night because he asked why I never read that one and he got all misty eyed.
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
image image image

Re: Books for Baby

• Options
    jac409jac409 member
    edited September 2013
    Our favorites are any of the Sandra Boynton books....Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs, Moo, Baa, La La La and Goodnight Pookie are great! There is also a series about a puppy named Spot that we always get at the library. They are good because each page has a flap with something hidden under it. I can't think of the author's name off the top of my head, but I will repost if I do. Edited: the Spot books are by Eric Hill.
  • Options
    I love any board books at this stage.  Babies explore "reading" books by turning pages, staring at pictures and eating the edges.  My favorite nighttime stories are "I love you stinky face" and "The going to bed book"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    have you looked to see if you can sign LO up for Dolly Parton's Imagination Library? We get a new book in the mail every month until she's a certain age (i think it's 2)

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Your little guy coukd just be learnung how to interact with pages and learning how to turn them. LO likes to turn pages & eat her books. Every night, we read the same 3 board books, "Are You My Mother" (is shorter than the usual hard cover edition), "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", and "Clifford's Bed Time". She will go after her other books as well at other times of the day. Big Red Barn, Clifford, Clifford Visits the Farm, The Very Busy Spider, There is a Monster at the End of this Book are a few off the top of my head.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Great ideas! He does have a set of board books that he likes to "turn" the pages and chew on. Unfortunately anything with interactive surfaces (ie. lift the curtain see the baby, etc.) get ripped up/out within about 5 minutes. He loves being read to and will stare at the page and put his finger on the pictures as I'm reading. He may just love the snuggle time in the rocking chair with Mommy
    image image image
  • Options
    Yeah, turning pages in a book is actually a developmental milestone! It's good for them to hear the same book 3-4 weeks in a row, because repetition helps them develop vocabulary. He isn't getting bored, he's just a normal active baby :)

We also stalk TJ Maxx board books bc they're cheap. DH likes to read her stuff from 6 by Seuss. I like corduroy and the velveteen rabbit.
  • Options
    It doesn't have very many words but Cecilia loves the peek-a who book.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"