November 2013 Moms

Fleas-ugh!!

I rarely ever post on here, but I am having one of "those" weeks and I really needed some advice/support from other moms!
This Sunday was my shower and of course, when I woke up, I noticed a flea on my dog. We are very clean people and I always make sure the dog is bathed and groomed, etc. I immediately panicked because this is the worst timing ever for him to get fleas (not that any other time would be pleasant either, but still). DH and I immediately gave him a bath and picked about 7 fleas off of him. I haven't seen any in my home or any more on him. I did vacuum my house with a shop vac numerous times and cleaned all linens in hot water.
I'm in nesting mode, have everything set up in LO room and am completely freaked out. The groomer said that there is a possibility of eggs hatching... But I can't bomb the apartment bc of the fumes.
Any advice as to what to do next (besides cry lol) is greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Fleas-ugh!!

• Can't you bomb and just be out of the house? You only need to be out for 4-5 hours I believe. Just make arrangements to stay elsewhere for the day if you can, have DH go home after the "bombing" period is done to air out the place and you should be good.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Do you use Frontline or some sort of flea medicine? If not, I would start.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I give my dog Comfortis, it's a pill and has always worked better for me than the topical treatments because my dog has VERY thick hair. It kills all the fleas within 4 hours and kills any new ones on contact. My poor puppy had them really bad awhile back and that was the only thing that worked.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have three large dogs and use the topical flea treatments and have never had a problem.  Your dog getting fleas doesn't mean your house is dirty, it just means your dog came into contact with them at some point :-)  Usually if we do have an issue (say we forget to do the treatment a month) if you do the treatment and vacuum and wash stuff I've never had to go any farther than that.
  • Call your vet and get Comfortis, it's the best for fleas out there right now.

FWIW being clean really doesn't have much to do with fleas. Bathing/grooming him is nice, but you really need to have him on monthly prevention if you want to keep him flea free (especially during summer/depending on where you live).
  • Thanks girls! It was completely my fault- I have crazy pregnancy brain and forgot to order more of his frontline this month... So of course this would be the month he gets fleas. I don't think I will ever forget that again!
  • Ditto everyone else who has said Comfortis. Fleas are developing a tolerance to Advantix and Frontline so something systemic instead of topical is better.

FWIW, you can get the RX from your vet and then order it online (VetDepot.com is the least expensive from what I've found) and save yourself a boatload of money.

Skip the flea bombs and foggers - they won't do a darn bit of good - but you can dust your carpets/yard with diatomaceous earth - just vacuum the carpets real well after you use it in the house. It'll kill adult fleas with no toxicity concerns  and if you can get them off your dogs and out of your carpets and out of your yard, you should be good to go.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Someone just told me about diatomaceous earth... I think I'll be getting some tomorrow. Thanks for the advice! Also called Stanley steamer to come and deep clean the carpets.
  • Keep vacuuming all the time, it will get the fleas in all their life stages, which is important. Use the diatomaceous earth. I am going through this now. Also I ordered these flea traps from Home Depot I line and thy are said to work great and you can tell how bad the fleas are. So far I have had mine in for 4 hours and no signs if fleas:) so the vacuuming, earth stuff, and ad advatix on my dogs is working:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"