March 2014 Moms

Wedding ring way too small now

So I got married in 2007 and since then I have put on a LOT of weight (oops).
I would like to lose it after this baby is born but my concern is my wedding and engagement rings. I can't get them off and it's starting to hurt.
Anyone had rings cut off before?!

Re: Wedding ring way too small now

• I haven't, but I know the ER can do that. Im going to have to take mine off soon.

Anniversary

• Have you tried using Vaseline or something? :(

My wedding band is too snug now but my engagement ring is slightly bigger and still fits. I stopped wearing my band a few weeks ago and I take my e-ring off every night to avoid getting it stuck. I hope you can get yours off without cutting!

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Loading the player...
  • My mother had to have hers cut off a few years ago - it was quite expensive to get it done then fixed & resized, and it wasn't comfortable but she wasn't injured or anything if that's what you're asking.  As someone said above - an ER can do it, in her case her jeweler did it.  I'd definitely exhaust all options before going that route - we tried a billion things from google before getting hers cut.
  • Make your hands cold too, when my hands are cold my rings are always too big
  • angelsnightangelsnight member
    edited September 2013

Ouch, have you tried soap and water to get them off?  Or maybe lotion?  And wait till a time of day when your hands are less swollen....

Mine have been too small lately too (I had also gained weight so they were already snug, and pregnancy just put them over the edge) so I got a ring from overstock.com that looks almost identical to my real wedding band and it was only $40, so I ordered one size up and it fits great.  I do miss wearing my full set, my real rings are soldered so I always wore both, but wearing just a band is better than no rings at all, or my finger turning purple from my too tight rings.  Good luck!

Edit: also try "twisting" it off, like a screw.  In the last few months when mine have gotten too tight, putting on lotion and then twisiting them on and off was the only way I could do it....just pulling made my fingers more swollen because the puffy skin would "bunch up" and the ring would dig into my skin as I pulled.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Mine got too small around 30w with DD1. They got stuck once and cold cold cold water and soap got them off. 

If soap isn't slippery enough, I'd try running as cold of water as possible and using vaseline or aquaphor to really grease up your finger and see if they'll come off. I've also heard of trying butter. Aquaphor will be the easiest clean up afterwards, but probably the least effective :(
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My rings fit until about 31 weeks last time, but I was not able ot get them on until a few months after birth AND resizing.  Last time, there was a girl in the August mom's Facebook group that had to have hers cut off AFTER baby, because she couldn't stand not wearing them anymore.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Tickerimage

• I had a ring cut off when I was a kid.  NBD.  I gained a bunch of weight and the thought of cutting my wedding band and engagement ring made me sad, so I purposely had them sized last year.  Now they are perfect.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • I'd try a few things that were suggested above to get them off now!  Cutting them off should be an absolute last resort. Then either go without or pick up a cheap/fake wedding set until after the baby's born.  
    imageimage 
  • To add to the list of things to try: Windex.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• jbelle said:
    To add to the list of things to try: Windex.
    That just makes me think of My Big Fat Greek Wedding

imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • Thx everyone. I googled too and will def try all these things before I get them cut off.
    I think they were already too small before this pregnancy as I have put on so much weight.
    I'm also on holiday in qld Australia ATM and the weather is warm and that is probably adding to it. Ill wait til I get back to chilly melbourne and try all the tricks you suggested.
    I'm not confident tho, as I think I've left it too long! Will let u know how I go in a week!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"