January 2014 Moms
Options

300 Squats...Ina May

edited September 2013 in January 2014 Moms
Does anyone know where the quote from Ina May below came from? I want to find the source to show my doc but can only seem to find others who have written about the quote. Any help would be appreciated. 
Thank you ladies.

Edit: Sorry. Mobile Bumping. 

"Squat 300 times a day, you’re going to give birth quickly.” - Ina May Gaskin.

Re: 300 Squats...Ina May

• Options
    There is no quotation...???
  • Options
    She is referring to the “Squat 300 times a day, you’re going to give birth quickly.”

I saw it in this anti-kegel pro-squat article:
    https://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/stop-doing-kegels-real-pelvic-floor-advice-women-and-men
     I doubt you'll be able to find the original source thoughl
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. 
  • Options
    At my last appointment, I checked with my OB to make sure lifting was still okay when I go to the gym and her only comment was "I just don't like when women are doing squats." I don't do them because I just don't much care for them so I didn't ask her to go into detail. If you are doing squats I would maybe not do them weighted unless you've okay'd it with your Dr.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Options
    @bethughknee - Yeah, I am starting to wonder if doing 300 squats is 100% beneficial or if the sitting in a squat to strengthen and lengthen while working on stamina with stuff like swimming and walking is better. I will check with my OB. 
  • Options
    @PrincessSillyPutty I think (like with most lifting) posture is key. It might help to do squats standing close to and facing a wall. Your face and knees shouldn't touch the wall the whole way down. I learned that in a kettlebell class. The wall really helps you to not alter your posture just to get lower. :)

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Options
    The theory behind the benefit of squats is that it helps strengthen and lengthen your pelvic floor by strengthening your glutes. Idk about 300, but they are definitely important! This is a great article about the issue, https://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

And an article about how to squat for pelvic floor health: https://www.katysays.com/the-hunting-and-gathering-mama/
    Married 5.16.10 Kaia Helene born 8.23.12 Soren Noble due 1.20.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Wait one of the best parts of being pregnant was that I didn't have to do squats anymore (or burpies, mountain climbers, all of those excruciating exercises) please don't say squats are good for us !!!! I like my walks and gentle Aqua Fit classes. Please don't guilt me into pregnant woman squats !!!!
  • Options
    At my last appointment, I checked with my OB to make sure lifting was still okay when I go to the gym and her only comment was "I just don't like when women are doing squats." I don't do them because I just don't much care for them so I didn't ask her to go into detail. If you are doing squats I would maybe not do them weighted unless you've okay'd it with your Dr.
    My doctor said 300 squats was insane and that she'd prefer I not strengthen the pelvic floor too much because it can causing ripping when the muscles are too tight.  Muscles need to be loose so that they can give a little during birth.  I can't make this up!  I was thrilled to hear that because I was doing squats as often as I could.  Oh, and I really, really don't want to rip...  I guess this is one muscle group I won't mind being saggy for the time being.  Yah, she told me to stop. 
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

• Options
    Yep...I am going to stick with what I am doing now. Walking, swimming, sitting in a squat, and doing 10-20 squats with the support of a yoga ball. When asking my OB, Bradley Teacher, and Pelvic Floor therapist about it they all wanted to see the source, as they love Ina May but thought this sounded insane. Thank you for the info though ladies! You rock!
  • Options
    Kiwi110 said:
    LabPupLuv said:
    My doctor said 300 squats was insane and that she'd prefer I not strengthen the pelvic floor too much because it can causing ripping when the muscles are too tight.  Muscles need to be loose so that they can give a little during birth.  I can't make this up!  I was thrilled to hear that because I was doing squats as often as I could.  Oh, and I really, really don't want to rip...  I guess this is one muscle group I won't mind being saggy for the time being.  Yah, she told me to stop. 
    Yeah, 300 is a bit much, but the pelvic floor muscle (like all muscles, but obviously this one's especially important for childbirth!) needs to be the 'right length' - not too loose and weak, but not too tight. You should be able to tighten it and use it, but it should also be able to relax. 

It's the muscle that, if the baby is facing the 'normal' way (not sunny side up), will make the baby tuck its chin on the way out so the smallest part of its head comes out first (less likelihood of tearing). If it's too loose, it doesn't do its job, and of course, if it's too loose, it can cause incontinence issues. I wouldn't abandon squats entirely, but yeah, no way is 300 necessary. 
    I agree with @kiwi110, i'm not an expert/doctor/fitness instructor, but ignoring your pelvic floor entirely is overkill imo. You don't want to be peeing yourself all the time pre and post delivery! From what I've read, if you do kegels AND squats, you will strengthen and lengthen your PF, not make it tighter necessarily. Also, all the relaxin and other hormones present during pregnancy and birth should keep you from being so tight that it rips I would think. 
    Married 5.16.10 Kaia Helene born 8.23.12 Soren Noble due 1.20.14

• Options
    I am pretty sure that I read the quote in Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth book. I'm pretty sure you'll find the quote in there but I don't remember the page. Also in the book she means it more in a teasing way, acknowledging that 300 squats would be too much. IMO she more wanted to stress the importance of a strong pelvic floor and glutes by using some hyperbole. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    300 squats a day is pretty crazy and I crossfit, where we squat A LOT.  I think working up to doing 300 squats in one day is more reasonable.  I love squatting so I'm hoping that labor will be somewhat of a breeze.  
  • Options
    Guess I'm starting squats!! Just not 300 a day, thats crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"