Pregnant after IF

XP: Anti-Anxiety Meds during IVF/Pregnancy

Hi ladies ~ I'm currently in the middle of my first IVF cycle (due to start stims tomorrow) and I am struggling with a lot of anxiety. I have always been an anxious person - I used to take an anti-anxiety medication, but stopped it a couple of years ago when we started TTC. I have been doing fine without it until I started the IVF meds. Now I am constantly worrying about anything IVF related.

Did any of you take an anti-anxiety medication during IVF? If so, did you stop it once you found out you were pregnant or did you continue taking it? If it's safe and my doctor approves of it I am thinking that I should take something, because I'm going crazy with all of my anxiety over IVF!

Thanks in advance!
Baby girl born 6/2/14
2nd baby due 5/15/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP: Anti-Anxiety Meds during IVF/Pregnancy

• RoeniRoeni member
    edited September 2013
    I had lots of anxiety while stimming and was near full blown panic attacks sometimes. I did take clonazepam but was cutting my dose and tapering off in case I became pregnant. Unfortunately no anxiety meds are really considered safe for pregnancy unless it will be more harmful not to take it. I have looked into this a lot since I struggle with anxiety. Luckily for me I think pregnancy hormones tend to relax me and I haven't really needed my meds. If I were to have a full blown attack with tachycardia I'd probably pop a Xanax though because it would be more harmful not to in my opinion.
  • Sometimes it is better to take something safe than to suffer with anxiety the whole pregnancy. I went off meds over a year ago and am now starting to struggle again. Considering going back in Zoloft but I believe it's only safe until 3rd trimester and I am there in 7 weeks anyway. Ask your dr what are safe meds for you!
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I take Wellbutrin which is safe all through pregnancy confirmed by my re and ob. They both also told me Prozac is safe. There are meds out their so if you feel you need then get some help. There is no need in having to feel bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i took lexapro all through IF, and throughout my entire pregnancy.  being CALM is more important than having full blown anxiety/depression throughout your pregnancy (and far outweighs the nominal risks honestly).    Pregnancy for the most part has been good as far as anxiety, but i have had a few weeks of INTENSE anxiety crop up even on meds.   You need to take care of yourself, it's not worth feeling that awful panic, esp for baby (or be at risk for PPD!)

• jezebel57 said:
    Sometimes it is better to take something safe than to suffer with anxiety the whole pregnancy. I went off meds over a year ago and am now starting to struggle again. Considering going back in Zoloft but I believe it's only safe until 3rd trimester and I am there in 7 weeks anyway. Ask your dr what are safe meds for you!
    not true, talk to a Psychiatrist or your OB.  you can go on something now. 

• Thanks for all of your responses - you're all so nice and helpful. I am going to talk with my doctor. Really appreciate all your responses - it's made me feel better all ready. Wishing you all the best!
    Baby girl born 6/2/14
    2nd baby due 5/15/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • They have been lots of studies on SSRIs and pregnancy.  Sertraline (zoloft) and fluoxetine (prozac) have the most safety data and are the most studied.  Sertraline also has a lot of safety data with breastfeeding.  The one that has been shown to be the least safe is paxil, it is a category D (the others are category C) and is linked to persistent pulmonary hypertension of a newborn.  Buspirone (buspar) is a category B but I am honestly not sure how much research has been done on it during pregnancy.  Benzodiazepines (xanax, clonazepam) should be avoided during pregnancy.  They are category D and have been linked to congential malformations, including cleft palate).  I would talk to a psychiatrist.  There are several safe options during pregnancy and it is better for LO if your mental health remains stable, even if that requires a medication.

<Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married June 2011 Dx: anovulatory due to prolactinoma (1.5cmx 1.5cm in 2006)
    April 2012: MRI- questionable cyst 8mg by 12mm in pituitary ; referred to RE by Ob-gyn after amenorrhea x 4+ months, provera ineffective, low estrogen level
    cycle 1: May 2012, clomid 50mg; cycle cancelled, thin lining, no response
    cycle 2: June 2012, femara 5mg; cycle cancelled, no response
    cycle 3: July 2012, femara 7.5mg; cycle cancelled (largest folli on Cd12 & cd 16: 11, lining 4)
    Repeat MRI July 25,2012- Cyst unchanged, likely old infarction.
    Aug. 8: met with RE, move to injectables if HSG and SA normal
    Aug. 23: HSG all clear; DH- perfect
    Switched to a new RE in early Sept. IVF here we come
    Genetic testing reveals: Fragile X- Intermediate risk/grey zone.
    IVF#1: ER 11/30: 14 retrieved, 10 mature, 7 fertilized. E2 prior to trigger 5200. Decision made to freeze 6 embryos and transfer later due to OHSS.
    IVF#1.2/FET #1: estrogen injects start 1/18, FET delayed to try to thicken lining. lining 5.4mm. FET- 2/18- transferred one 3AA expanded blast. BFP 5dp5dt. Beta #1- 2/27 9dp5dt- 102.27 beta #2 3/1: 147 :(, beta #3 3/4: 268 told to stop meds and let nature take its course. requested 4th beta (3/6); Beta hell for 2 months.

FET # 2: endometrial scratch 5/6, added estrace vaginally and ASA to delestrogen and PIO. June 10- transferred one 4AA hatched embryo, BFP 4dp6dt, Beta 1 (9dp6dt) 187, Beta 2 (11dp6dt): 412; Beta 3 (15dp6dt ): 4452. U/S #1- one beautiful embryo with a heartbeat of 133 at 7 weeks.  8 weeks: heartbeat 156. EDD 2/26/2014: born 2-3-14 induced due to Pre-E and HELLP at 36w5d.

12/1: met with RE to discuss trying for #2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"