Special Needs

Bus Transport - Carseats

Who has a 3 y.o. that they send or have sent on a school bus to preschool? Do you use a carseat? Who provides the carseat?

I am requesting transport from the district but I am hearing that they don't use Carseats unless parents provide them. Does this sound right. I mean to put a freshly turned 3 y.o on a bus with no aide and no car seat sounds concerning. My DS is decently behaved if that makes a difference...

Re: Bus Transport - Carseats

• We chose not to use the bus. However, our district would have provided a bus and carseat for transportation to and from his school.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • My son is 3 and just started preschool and the district is providing transportation.  I also asked about car seats.  I was reassured to see that they have the restraints already installed in all the seats.  They aren't car seats, but are like seat belts but they go over their shoulders and down around their waists just like car seat straps do.  It's a law here in AZ so they can't get around that.
  • Loading the player...
  • In our district, preschoolers ride the small bus, no aides, in county provided car seats. We chose to arrange for alternate transportation.
  • In my district it depends on the bus. Some buses use actual car seats that the school board's transportation department provide. For DS bus, he use what they call a harness, it is like a vest made with straps. It has 2 D rings on the shoulder which snaps directly on the seat then there are straps around the lap area. The harness is his to keep for as long as he is taking that bus and as long as it fits, It comes home in his book bag and it is placed in the bag when he is dropped off at school in the morning.
  • My son's bus has one matron who helps the kids, buckles and unbuckles, hands them off, etc. The bus has about 50% installed seats, however I chose to provide my own. Policy says that children 4yo and over 40 do not require seats, and insufficient seats would likely mean my boy would go into a standard lap belt (because of his size.) we are in NYC.
  • My son is 3 and just started preschool and the district is providing transportation.  I also asked about car seats.  I was reassured to see that they have the restraints already installed in all the seats.  They aren't car seats, but are like seat belts but they go over their shoulders and down around their waists just like car seat straps do.  It's a law here in AZ so they can't get around that.
    Our DS rides the bus as well and his bus has the same set up. It is a full size bus but has built in seat belts. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • According to NHTSA, children should be in 5 pt harness until 40lbs. https://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/buses/busseatbelt/page03.htm Do you have a seat you can provide?
  • We are in CA and I don't think there's a state law relating to this. I guess I will have to look into it with the transportation company. I am not sure what size bus the district uses to transport in these instances.
    I was thinking of buying a cheap carseat for him to use on the bus, but then got to thinking if the bus just has the regular lap belt is that even enough to install the carseat or am I better off just letting him ride without a carseat.
    I am hoping to get transportation set up to his grandmas which is only a mile away.
  • For the record, there is nothing unsafe or wrong with a lap-belt only install. (although I realize that's not your only concern, I just wanted to mention that in case it might become relevant as you decide what to do.)
  • It's the district's job to provide all equipment for the child's educational day, carseat and all.
  • A car seat with a 5 point harness was provided by the school. He sometimes rode in a school SUV, van, or bus. There was always a car seat.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"