July 2013 Moms
Options

DH watching LO

Tomorrow will be the first day DH has watched LO for more than a few hours by himself. I have to work 1p-11p and he has off so he'll be with her all day. And he has some errands so he has to take her with him. I'm hoping all goes smoothly. How do your DH/SOs do with long periods of LO time?
July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary

Re: DH watching LO

• Options
    DH does great. And then I feel guilty that I underestimate him and worry too much lol.
  • Options
    I will be watching this thread. I am so nervous about this. I have two weeks left until I go back to work and it will be DH's job to put LO to bed and take the first shift. I have been trying to let him take control of bed time, but she just ends up screaming until I take her. I guess it doesn't help that he tries to put her to sleep with sportscenter blasting, in a brightly lit room, trying to shove a paci in her mouth. Oy...
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the longest I've been away was 2.5 hours and I worried the entire time. I had an 80 minute massage and I didn't really enjoy it...
  • Options
    KMSonnKMSonn member
    edited September 2013

I think the longest I've been away was 2.5 hours and I worried the entire time. I had an 80 minute massage and I didn't really enjoy it...

This exactly. For the first hour, all I could think about was how they were doing and was she crying. But eventually, I think I fell asleep :/

Edit- holy typos batman!
  • Options
    My Dh is awesome. I have four kids and have left my kids for extended periods several times throughout the years.
  • Options

The first time I left LO was for 10 hours. What got me past my nerves was telling myself he loves LO just as much as I do and will do what's best. If it's not the same way I do it, then so what? The way I see it, I had no idea what I was doing at first and he trusted me with her so he deserves that same trust back.

I need to have that much trust!

My DH is amazing, even though he doesn't do things the same way I do, he still tries and that's what really counts. DS is 11 weeks and I still get nervous leaving him with DH and my dad to go to the store, but I'm getting better. He does fine, I'm just a control freak FTM.
  • Options
    My DH watched LO for two days by himself while I was having my gallbladder removed. Now he offers to take him places all the time, they even went to his fantasy football draft together. I'll probably have to have more kids now so I can get at least one that prefers me :)
    H born 07/02/2013
  • Options
    My DH does so good by himself with DS and LO, my son adores him and he such a daddy's boy. He showered both of the kids yesterday, I trust him all the way..
  • Options
    I think DH is more nervous than I am. I think hes worried about doing errands with her. I think hes worried about her crying when they're out..but shes a pretty easy baby. If shes crying its usually cause shes hungry or need a diaper change. I'm sure all will be okay. He thinks she prefers me or something. He says when I walk out of the room she cries..lol. He needs to have more faith in himself.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have 5 weeks left of my leave then hubby stay with LO i am a bit nervouse but I am confident DH will do an amazing job.
  • Options
    Stina2012Stina2012 member
    edited September 2013
    ashie624 said:

I think DH is more nervous than I am. I think hes worried about doing errands with her. I think hes worried about her crying when they're out..but shes a pretty easy baby. If shes crying its usually cause shes hungry or need a diaper change. I'm sure all will be okay. He thinks she prefers me or something. He says when I walk out of the room she cries..lol. He needs to have more faith in himself.

My DH is the same way. She was fussy all last week when he'd come home at night. But I handed her to him as much as I could this weekend and they got through it together. His work schedule sucks so he doesn't get home until 7-8 each night which is when she's fighting me about bedtime. But he now has his soothing method down with her, we call it the Jane Fonda because it involves squats and dips and shushing. It's a sight when he does it!
  • Options
    DH is awesome with El!  Last week he had the whole week off while I went back to work.  It gave him a new appreciation for how hard it can be to watch her alone.  He is really comfortable with babies though because he has a huge family and has been around babies his whole life.  He told me he changed his first diaper when he was 8 lol!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Options
    My hubby has done great with the short stints he has done. When I go back to work he will be taking a week off to take care of her. It will be interesting.

• Options
    :/ She just doesn't calm down if she's in a screaming fit and with him. Poor DH gets so frustrated. I NEED to get my hair done and nails done soon but I'm afraid DH and DD will have meltdowns when I'm out.  BUT I'm a control freak and I'm sure it will be fine...I think...maybe....ok maybe not but it has to happen sooner or later lol.

imageimageimage

• Options
    DH is very good with LO. It took me a while to let go and stop expecting the text messages/calls for help, because he is a competent, loving adult.

The longest stretch I leave him for is 5 hours a week (5-10pm) while I go into the city to tutor. He has his own way of soothing her, and gets her to sleep by wearing her in his carrier and walking around. He figured it out as he went, just like I did (although I feel like I have the easy way out, just popping in a boob... He actually has to try!). I also leave him for a few hours here and there to get my nails done, go to a happy hour, etc.
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • Options
    DH has stayed with DS2 twice in his 8 weeks of life so far--each time for about 2-3 hrs (EBF)--once to get my hair done, and once to go to brunch with a friend for her birthday (I enjoyed the shit out of my mimosa). He does okay, I just think he forgot how newborns are just fussy sometimes and he got used to our mostly happy toddler--it seems like he has less patience for crying now and doesn't try very hard to soothe him. He will kinda just sit there and let him fuss/cry :( he forgets to "troubleshoot" aka think of all the reasons he might be crying and try to fix those. I may literally make a list for him (dirty diaper? Tired? Hungry? Overstimulated?...) as he usually just thinks he's hungry :( to be fair, if I am there I usually just take him back and do the soothing myself--but I need to be better about not jumping in so he can (re)learn to do it himself. I'm going to give him some prime opportunities to practice this week since I announced to him that I am getting a massage tomorrow and doing a girls' sushi/wine night on Friday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"