January 2014 Moms

Wearing contacts while pregnant

Is anyone else having major issues with their contact lenses?  Some days, they are so uncomfortable, dry, or make my vision blurry.  It is really annoying, and I hate wearing my glasses during the day.  

Re: Wearing contacts while pregnant

• I have the same issue. I have horrible vision so it is really a "do I wear my contacts and constantly put eye drops in or do I wear my honking big glasses?" Eye drops before I put them in and right before I put my makeup seem to help a little. Hope it gets better for you!
  • I usually wear glasses, but I put my contacts in last night for yoga class and they were so dry and uncomfortable that I wanted to claw my eyes out! I don't know if it is pregnancy or just because I don't wear them often.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Your vision can actually change quite a bit while pregnant, so that could potentially be causing the blurriness.  If dryness is the main issue you're having, I would consider doing daily disposables (at least until LO is here).  They can make a big difference in dryness.  I would definitely call your eye doctor and make a quick appointment to get your rx rechecked, and to talk about what your best option for the CLs would be.

dx with anovulatory PCOS 2005
    off bcp 11/11
    a few rounds of clomid and femara... no response.
    injectables/IUI 12/12... BFN
    Feb 13 IVF cycle converted down to IUI due to low follicle response... BFFN
    one last IVF attempt April/May 2013: 19 retrieved. 10 fertilized. 2 transferred in a 3dt. 4 frosties... BFP!!
    EDD: 1/21/14... Induced early at 36+6. Our little girl was born 12/30/13

surprise pregnancy with baby #2!  EDD: 8/30/16

• I don't wear contacts or glasses but a very good friend who does had the worst problems when she was pregnant. She had to use drops all day long to stay comfortable (or wear glasses.) She said that her doc told her it was a very normal pregnancy "thing." I'd ask your doc next time you see him/her and maybe they can recommend some good drops to help you out!

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• I have been having some similar issues as well. I usually can wear my contacts for 12 or more hours per day, but now have resorted to wearing my glasses for most of the time I am at home. I really wish I had an extra 2 grand for lasik :/

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I had an eye doctor appointment last month and my vision had changed a lot due to pregnancy. You might need a new prescription. As far as itchiness goes, I have that too, and it drives me crazy.

• It happens to me occasionally, but not as bad when I was pregnant with DD.  Unfortunately, my wonderful great dane puppy has taken it upon herself to destroy my glasses and I have not made it to the eye doctor to get a new set yet, so I'm completely reliant on my contacts.  Ugh.

Jan '14 Siggy Challenge: Things I've had to deprive myself of while pregnant:

imageimage

Rum & Coke...mmm!!                                              Laying on my stomach!  Can't wait!

• Every time my girlfriend was pregnant she had to start wearing her glasses immediately. Hormonal changes are a bitch.

I had PRK done over two years. When I'm pregnant, my eyes get weaker and incredibly drier. Sucks so badly. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • I get that and just wear my glasses for a vast majority of the time when pregnant.  I also make sure I have new glasses so I don't feel out of date though.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Yes, I'm wearing my glasses almost everyday now. I want to get LASIK!
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had to give up my contacts, basically. I know that my vision has gotten worse and brought it up to my midwife because I've been getting headaches a lot. With my contacts in, I can barely make out street signs while driving. My glasses are better, but I hate how they look with my bangs, lol. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • My contacts have caused me trouble since the day I found out I was pregnant... literally! I was taking them out that night and I guess so excited and not thinking I somehow left the right one in on my daily disposable.  The next day I put new contacts in and the eye was so blurry I took them out and couldn't figure out what was going on.  I experimented that morning contacts in, contacts out and just figured wow, my hormones changed my eyes over night!  I called the eye doctor they said don't come in it's hormones.  Two weeks later my OBGYN forced me to go to another doctor to be sure... sure enough I had my right contact in the WHOLE time!!!  I freaked!  I was so worried I damaged my eye. Everything was fine but I still don't know how I did that.  I've been wearing contacts since 7th grade and have never done that.  I can't even shower with them when I try!  So since then I'm paranoid, coupled with very dry eyes also!
  • Thanks ladies!  
  • Glad I'm not the only one. My contacts have been OK, but I've definitely had more issues with them now than before I was pregnant. It's still fine for me to wear my contacts, but I definitely take them off as soon as I get home.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Yes. I asked my dr. and was told it is a pregnancy thing. I have just been wearing my glasses more right now. 
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My mom says that was her first symptoms of pregnancy with the second and third- her contacts didn't fit anymore!

imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Mine have been fine, but I switched brands at 8 weeks, so maybe contact your eye doctor about switching to a different type for a while or just trying different samples.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My contacts were super blurry and uncomfortable pretty much right away, and I was told that your eyeballs can kind of swell and change shape from hormones. (That's on my list of stupid pregnancy symptoms no one ever warns you about.) I was advised to just stick to glasses and they didn't want to refit me for contacts while I'm still pregnant because they frequently change back, or at least don't stay how they are mid pregnancy.  

2nd trimester, I've been able to wear my contacts again though. Tried them out one day when I went swimming and realized they fit just fine again. Pregnancy is a total mindf*#&.

DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• Also, if you plan on nursing, your eyes can change due to those hormones as well.  So don't go buy 2 years of contacts the day you deliver of anything.  I'm also not going to consider Lasik until after I am done being pregnant/nursing for sure.
  • Same here, lots of problems so its not even worth it. For my weekly pregnancy pics I take off my glasses since I "normally" wear contacts and don't want all these pics in glasses! LOL!

Pregnancy Ticker

• My eyes are always dry from living in Denver, but I haven't noticed them getting any drier since pregnancy. However - I feel like my vision in my right eye has gotten slightly worse.

I second the PP that said daily disposables. I got to wear those for 2 weeks as a free trial before I got my latest round of contacts and I LOVED them - but they were 4x more expensive. However - I'm starting to consider getting them just for the next 4 months instead of a year long supply.
  • Your vision can actually change quite a bit while pregnant, so that could potentially be causing the blurriness.  If dryness is the main issue you're having, I would consider doing daily disposables (at least until LO is here).  They can make a big difference in dryness.  I would definitely call your eye doctor and make a quick appointment to get your rx rechecked, and to talk about what your best option for the CLs would be.

I hope it returns to my normal, terrible vision, because I just ordered 2 years worth of contacts!
    Ashley, FTM, Age 31, Southern California
    Jude Meyer was born January 12, 2014, at 21 inches, 7lb, 8oz.

image imageimage
  • I'm the odd ball my contacts have been fine and I have the night and day ones so I wear them continuously for 30 days at a time.
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• Mine haven't bugged me too much, but I have noticed a protein buildup when I get close to the end of my two weeks (I use the biweekly disposables), which makes my vision blurry (usually in one eye). It's annoying, but I just change them out before I should.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have not had any problems with my contacts so far this pregnancy. Sounds like I am lucky. Seems very common... fxed it Stays this way
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"