January 2014 Moms
Options

I Hate My Doctor (vent)

I really really dislike my doctor but feel stuck with them for the time being because I encountered a few minor complications. I have partial previa and low amnotic fluid. I didn't want to change doctors in the middle of this. I'm 23 weeks and started getting Braxton Hicks last week and this past weekend have developed, what I believe is sciatic nerve pain in my lower right back. I work 40 hours a week, stand 8 hours a day at a car factory, lifting and bending with heavy metal all day. Today, the back pain is so intense that I cried on my way to work because the pain was shooting down my right buttcheek, into my thigh just when I pressed the brake or gas in my car!
So it kills to walk, sit, anything. I called my doctor and asked to speak with him. The receptionist put me on hold and came back and said "He told me to tell you to lay down and if it doesn't get better, then go to the hospital." I told her I am at work for another 5 hours and I cannot lay down. She says "oooohhkayyy. (Long pause). Okay, bye."
WTF?!
Thanks for the help. I don't know what to do. I just can't leave work. My work has absolutely no sympathy for pregnant women and we have a really strict attendance policy.
Ugh. :(
      Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014

Re: I Hate My Doctor (vent)

• Options
    When's your next appointment? I'd discuss this in person because they can't just hang up on you then. I'm sorry you're in such pain.

• Options
    I switched OBs at 19 weeks.  If you're really that unhappy, I'm sure there's an OB that would still take on your care.  It might be worth calling around.  I'm totally glad I switched.  I love my new OB. 
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think acupuncture can help too. I had a friend who was in such pain with her pregnancy and she swore it helped her back and pelvic region.

• Options
    Wow, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that! The receptionist sounds horrible and not at all professional. I used to work at a factory (best job I ever had, but the plant closed) and I can't imagine having to do that job all day while dealing with pain like that. Have you thought about just going to the hospital? Maybe that way something can get done a little quicker (at least that's how things work here). I hope that you can find a way to get yourself feeling better soon ((hugs))

• Options
    I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I switched doctors at 28 weeks with my last pregnancy, granted I didn't have any complications but if I were you, I'd think about it some more. You could check yelp for reviews of other offices and look for ones that say "THE STAFF IS SO FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL"? :( 

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Options
    The other ladies have given great advice regarding some things that you can do to help you physically. But I just want to throw in my two cents here -- I have to be honest, this sounds like an issue with your work more than it sounds like an issue with your doctor.
  • Options
    The other ladies have given great advice regarding some things that you can do to help you physically. But I just want to throw in my two cents here -- I have to be honest, this sounds like an issue with your work more than it sounds like an issue with your doctor.
    I was thinking the same thing. The doctor can only suggest that you relax, lay down etc. and if you're not able to do that because of work, then it's a work problem. I'm not sure what else your doctor can actually do.

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• Options
    I don't see them for another week and a half. I know there isn't too much they can do, but they can recommend a chiropractor to me, or write me a script for physical therapy or something. Anything. Act like they care a little bit. I really don't want to have to go to the hospital, pay $100 copay for them to just tell me it's sciatic nerve pain and talk to my OB about it. My OB knows where I work and what I do. He knows that unless I have a doctors note, or he gives me restrictions or even writes me out that there is nothing my work can do for it.
    I was just really thrown off by the rudeness and how much I seemed more like a nuisance for even calling about it.
    But thank you so much ladies! I will definitely be looking for a new OB ASAP.

• Options
    cpm1223 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The doctor can only suggest that you relax, lay down etc. and if you're not able to do that because of work, then it's a work problem. I'm not sure what else your doctor can actually do.

All of the above. I'd go to the hospital and see if they can give you a note restricting your activity level at work. Maybe even take a week off for sick time until your body relaxes and heals a bit, then slowly resume your activity levels.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Options
    cpm1223 said:
    Yeah, I agree.

Are you in a position where you can file for FMLA and use that to protect you from being fired or reprimanded for time off?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • Options
    Elsutto2 said:
    My OB knows where I work and what I do. He knows that unless I have a doctors note, or he gives me restrictions or even writes me out that there is nothing my work can do for it. I was just really thrown off by the rudeness and how much I seemed more like a nuisance for even calling about it.
    1) Have you specifically asked your doctor to write you a note?

2) There have been many complaints about the office staff at doctors' offices around here. Which is definitely annoying. But a rude office staff is not a reason to leave an OB. It's a reason to talk to your OB about your concerns. Besides, what was she (the receptionist) supposed to say? She's not a doctor. You could call back and ask to have the doctor call you so you can speak directly to him, and keep calling until you hear back. Who knows, the doctor could be pissed at the receptionist for some other reason and she's afraid to approach him. He could have been on his way to deliver a baby or deal with some other emergency. I think you are overreacting about the doctor, to be frank.
  • Options

Elsutto2 said:

My OB knows where I work and what I do. He knows that unless I have a doctors note, or he gives me restrictions or even writes me out that there is nothing my work can do for it.
    I was just really thrown off by the rudeness and how much I seemed more like a nuisance for even calling about it.

1) Have you specifically asked your doctor to write you a note?

2) There have been many complaints about the office staff at doctors' offices around here. Which is definitely annoying. But a rude office staff is not a reason to leave an OB. It's a reason to talk to your OB about your concerns. Besides, what was she (the receptionist) supposed to say? She's not a doctor. You could call back and ask to have the doctor call you so you can speak directly to him, and keep calling until you hear back. Who knows, the doctor could be pissed at the receptionist for some other reason and she's afraid to approach him. He could have been on his way to deliver a baby or deal with some other emergency. I think you are overreacting about the doctor, to be frank.

I have had to ask him several times to write me a note early on in my pregnancy because he told me he didn't want me to lift over 25 pounds, and I have to have a doctors note for that. He ignored the question several times before I got an answer, and even then he made it seem like a big inconvenience to write one out for me. There have been a few instances other than that that have happened that I didn't get into in this post. This is just another thing added on. I asked to talk to a doctor, there are 6 in the practice where I go. The receptionist relayed whatever message any of the doctors gave her. I was just upset that this is the first time I brought up this issue, no questions were specially asked about the pain I was having, and that was the solution they came up with. Without talking to me. That's all.

• Options
    It sucks to feel blown off, especially when you're in a lot of pain!  All the ladies above have said everything else I would mention.  Personally, PT has helped my back/pelvic and sciatic pain!
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"