May 2013 Moms
Options

Pacifier while sleeping

So LO falls asleep with the pacifier. Then it falls out. Some nights he starts fussing when he realizes its out. We have always gone in his room and popped it back in because he quiets back down. Lately we haven't had to do it much, I think he's been using the thumb. However, tonight we've already done it 5 times in 3 hrs. :( And yes, it sometimes happens MOTN too, which I why I delayed him being in his own room so long.

I wonder if I should not do it. I'm afraid to start a bad habit, but if I don't I know it will get to all out screaming and I'm not ready to CIO. I feel like he's too young to self soothe, but what do I know. haha

What do you think? What would you/do you do?
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Pacifier while sleeping

  • Options
    Have you tried a security blanket? Our LO was the same way but we started giving her a security blanket to hold on to. So when the paci fell out she started not to cry. She will grasp on to the blanket when she is sleeping and rub it on her face.
    She doesnt have to have the blanket all the time but I do think it helped us wirh her having to have the paci to sleep.
  • Options
    DD spits her paci out shortly after falling asleep and stays asleep. For naps, she sometimes needs it in the whole time so I keep plugging her. I think I did it 4 times in her 3 hr nap today. For naps I'm fine with that, but if she did that at night I would probably give her a bit and see if she can calm down and go back to sleep without it. FWIW, I probably couldn't let her cry for long.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    delino said:
    DD spits her paci out shortly after falling asleep and stays asleep. For naps, she sometimes needs it in the whole time so I keep plugging her. I think I did it 4 times in her 3 hr nap today. For naps I'm fine with that, but if she did that at night I would probably give her a bit and see if she can calm down and go back to sleep without it. FWIW, I probably couldn't let her cry for long.
    DS is exactly the same, spits it out right after falling asleep but naps sometimes he wants it. Is he waking as soon as it pops out? Or stirring and realizing its out?  I would try and take it out yourself when he is in a deep sleep. So it falling out doesn't wake him. 
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ohgrl95 said:


    delino said:

    DD spits her paci out shortly after falling asleep and stays asleep. For naps, she sometimes needs it in the whole time so I keep plugging her. I think I did it 4 times in her 3 hr nap today. For naps I'm fine with that, but if she did that at night I would probably give her a bit and see if she can calm down and go back to sleep without it. FWIW, I probably couldn't let her cry for long.

    DS is exactly the same, spits it out right after falling asleep but naps sometimes he wants it. Is he waking as soon as it pops out? Or stirring and realizing its out?  I would try and take it out yourself when he is in a deep sleep. So it falling out doesn't wake him. 

    No he doesn't wake when it falls out. He stirs, realizes its gone and then fusses. I haven't tried the security blanket. Too afraid of the SIDS stuff. Maybe when he's a bit older.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Still too young to create a bad habit, IMO.  I'd rather pop it back in than have to calm down a screaming baby.  I like the idea of taking it out when he gets into a deep sleep.  My LO doesn't need it when he's really out, but he likes it to fall asleep and for naps.
  • Options
    I have no experience here bc LO hates the paci, but I would try to see what happens now, rather than later. Try to get him to learn how to self soothe so you're not a slave to the paci. Easier said than done, I know. But I've learned over the last 4 months that until I try something, I can't be nervous and assume the worst. LO has pleasantly surprised me many times!
  • Options
    L takes a paci at bedtime as well (she has since the first week) and when it would fall out she'd fuss and we'd always pop it back in. About 4 weeks ago I stopped doing it. When she fusses, I give her time to soothe herself. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes but she always gets herself back to sleep now. FTR- when I say fuss I mean grunting that is sometimes accompanied by a whiny cry. If she lets out a real cry I will go in much sooner. I've come to realize that L has the ability to do things I didn't expect - like self soothing or stretching out her feedings to every 4 hours. I just never gave her the opportunity to show me this because I always interfered too quickly and made things harder on myself!

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    RoxZ32 said:

    L takes a paci at bedtime as well (she has since the first week) and when it would fall out she'd fuss and we'd always pop it back in. About 4 weeks ago I stopped doing it. When she fusses, I give her time to soothe herself. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes but she always gets herself back to sleep now. FTR- when I say fuss I mean grunting that is sometimes accompanied by a whiny cry. If she lets out a real cry I will go in much sooner. I've come to realize that L has the ability to do things I didn't expect - like self soothing or stretching out her feedings to every 4 hours. I just never gave her the opportunity to show me this because I always interfered too quickly and made things harder on myself!

    Yea. I think you're right. This is what I should probably do. Especially because I know he has taken his thumb in the past. Maybe I need to force him to go to that. He hasn't gotten to a full out scream yet, just whining. I guess I'll let him go and just intervene if he gets ramped up. Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"