October 2013 Moms

Ultrasound at 35 weeks- measuring small

After my appt last week with doctor my weight gain has been low but fundal measurements on track. She said to reassure us she would order an ultrasound. Went yesterday and femur was at 31w5d and head at 34w. Overall she said little boy was small and 2 weeks behind and around 4 pounds 7 oz with an 11 oz room for error.
We left the room and I just lost it:( I feel like I haven't done enough to protect and raise this little guy.
Any of you have an experience like this? I try not to worry as I have an appt on Wed and lots of ladies say they measured small but the baby came out at a normal weight.
Wishing I never went in for the reassurance ultrasound in the first place. Plus baby boy had his arm over his face the entire time so we didn't get any good photos except of his boy parts!
Ugh, now to try and not stress the next weeks before he comes!

Re: Ultrasound at 35 weeks- measuring small

• You're fine.  LO#1 was this way too -- he came out at under 6 pounds, but totally healthy except for a small battle with jaundice, which might not even be related.

Ultrasounds are good, but not perfect.  Just do what you can - eat healthy, keep hydrated and keep going to the doctor.  You can't control how baby grows any more than a mom who has a big baby can.  You can only do what yo ucan do.
    DS/LO #1: Born March 2012 DS/LO #2: On his way! Due October 2013 image
  • That doesn't seem to be that off to me. I had an ultrasound at 34 weeks yesterday and baby is estimated at 5lb6oz which is 54%. Your size seems below average from the charts I've seen but not below the chart line.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told my son was measuring small my whole pregnancy. He came out a healthy 7lbs 3oz. 
    Try not to get worried
    Emily & Alex imageimage
  • They've been all over me because of low weight gain and small baby too ... ultrasounds at 20 weeks said he was 10th percentile, 26 weeks he was 35th percentile and 32 weeks he was 20th percentile. I have to go back next Friday (36 weeks) to check that he's at least 4.5 pounds.

I get feeling bad/weird about it but what PPs have said is true - we can't control the growth (as long as you're eating well, etc).

We'll be fine - and so will our babies!
    Daniel ~ October 21, 2013

• My little guy measured 4 lbs 11oz at 35 weeks exactly..Putting him in the 19th percentile. I was at maternal fetal medicine for this ultrasound and he wasn't concerned. He asked how much I weighed at birth..but I was almost a 9lb baby. Apparently genetics can be a factor. He said everything else looked great..placenta and all the organs and such. He thinks I may just have a smaller, but healthy baby. We are following up in 2 weeks just to be sure he's growing like he should. Did you Dr mention a follow up?
    I really wouldn't worry too much :)

imageimage

• My sister was told that my niece was only 2lbs 2 weeks before she was due. They induced my sister and she came out a healthy 6lb baby
  • It doesn't help that I haven't talked to my doctor yet. They sent the scans over after but I won't talk to get until Wed. My DH asked the tech if there was reason to be concerned and she wouldn't answer as she said she wasn't qualified. Ugh. Like my mom says, "worrying is like a rocking chair and gives u something to d but gets u nowhere."... Still I worry.
    And I do wonder about genetics. I was 5 lbs 14 oz so maybe he's just bound to be a little guy.
  • Doesn't sound too terrible. I've been measuring 2 weeks small on fundal height (not as accurate as u/s) for the last month or so. Unless baby is in the 10th % or less for growth, which is where they term them "small for gestational age," then there's not much anyone does. Not to minimize your concern, but as long as LO is at term and >5# or so, it doesn't really matter. I hope your doctor appeases your fears soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I'm in the same boat.

With my first they said he weighed almost 4 kilos / 8.8 pounds. He came out two weeks late at 3010 grams / 6.6 pounds.

Now they say my daughter is currently 2 kilos / 4.4 pounds. Honestly, I thank them for the extra long ultrasound and roll my eyes.

Those estimates can be waaaaay off.

• With my first, the 36 u/s said 24% and he was born on his DD at 8lb12oz! They are frequently really far off!
  • There is a range for a reason. People don't come in all the same japes and sizes and neither do babies. Some are just small. Some are just large. Sometimes it has nothing to do with anything but genetics.

Try not to fret. Did baby look healthy? Was he moving? Is he growing even if he is a little "behind" by comparison? If all else looked good, then don't worry. I'm sure baby will be just fine!
  • I just had an US at almost 35 weeks, and baby was measuring 4lbs, 11oz, which they said was 12th percentile. Like you, I was really concerned about it, because 12th percentile sounds really small! The MFM assured me that there was nothing to be concerned about unless he was measuring 10th percentile or less. Plus they were able to check blood flow and all that good stuff, and everything looked good, so he's getting nutrition, he's just probably small at the moment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"