Pregnant after 35

My first illness during pregnancy

And it sucks. DH brought home a lovely virus and it's making me cough so badly that my abs and back hurt already. Thank God I was reading coughing will not make you miscarry, but I still feel miserable and am afraid to take anything for it. I'm looking at the jar of Vicks Vapor Rub but I don't know.

Does anyone know what's safe to take for a cough and chest congestion?

This sucks. I told DH next time he gets sick to stay at work!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.

Re: My first illness during pregnancy

• Go to your local Chinese take-out and get some hot and sour soup!!! Between the spices and the steam, it always clears me up.

I think the VapoRub is safe, but I'm not sure.  Wait for someone else to respond...or call your OB's office.

Rest up and feel better!

• I am miserable as well! I have had a cough, fever and congestion since Sunday.  My doctor said to take tylenol to keep the fever down and Robitussin DM for the congestion. 

I checked several times with them and they said "Robitussin DM is perfectly fine (for short term use)".  They were more worried about the cough getting worse, and then the need for antibiotics.

FYI- my Dr is very conservitive when it comes to medications, so I trust them.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Feel better soon. I usually suffer through it with hot soup, tea and hot water with lemon.
  • Robitussin is totally fine.   I've had to take it twice already this time around. 

Also, try buckwheat honey!    Sounds odd- but i give it to my toddler since I cant' give her anything else, and it works wonders.   Plus, bonus, it's HONEY. LOL!

sorry you're under the weather!

Christine

• Ugh!  That sounds horrible!  I had that when I was 10 weeks pregnant with DS and I just used saline for my nose.  I wish I would have known that I could use the other stuff, but I guess I didn't ask.  Take what you can to make yourself more comfortable!
  • I've had a slight head cold (nasal congestion mostly) and used the saline nasal spray?Ayr.  It's really helped. Luckily no coughing... I feel for you.  Hope you get better soon!

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Thanks girls! I've been reading that if you have a fever (which I do at night) it's best to take Tylenol to bring it down. I guess it's riskier not to do that since the fever is bad for the fetus. The pharmacist said the Rub is OK but he didn't recommend taking Robitussin. I guess I'll drink tea, use the rub and tylenol but I'll ask about Robitussin in my next dr visit. Ugh. I swear I'm going to cough out a lung!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Don't cough up a lung!  Call your ob and ask what they consider safe.. it's what they're there for.  A nurse can tell you on the phone.    When I was DYING from a chest cold, and it was turning toward bronchitis - I ended up on a z pac (antibiotics) to prevent it from becoming bronchitis, and they told me that for my cough i could take robitussin (just regular guaifenisen - not the one with all the letters after it) to loosen it up, and actifed or plain sudafed for my nasal congestion. 

All docs are different, but I guarantee you that yours will have a list of what they consider safe.    Give 'em a call... the insurance company pays them plenty for this kind of info! LOL!

Feel better!

Christine

• Ditto on call your doctor.  They'll give you a list of what you can take for various ailments. 

I feel for you.  I had a miserable cold in my 1st tri and all I could take was plain robitussin and cough drops.  I think I went through 6 bottles of robitussin and 3 bags of drops. It sucks not being able to take anything stronger for the symptoms.

• Thanks, I still have a low-grade fever. I'm going to call the office now and hopefully they didn't leave for the holiday yet. Have a great New Year everyone!
  • OK, I called and the nurse said yes to Tylenol and Vicks Vapor Rub (and even Sudafed) but no to Robitussin DM. She said only the plain Robitussin (Guanefesin only). Go figure. I read different things online but who knows. I guess I'll go buy the plain Robitussin and pray that it works.
  • Yep, I'm feeling something coming on too, I had an apt this morning and my doc said the same as yours,  Tylenol (and Benadryl) only .... I hope you feel better   :o)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"