Pregnant after IF
Options

What to do with old IVF stuff?

I was going through my old IVF stuff today and it was really tough to look at all of it. I'm so thrilled to be pregnant but it still just reminds me of how much we had to go through to get here and how hard it was .... Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone has done with syringes, meds, ect. Left over from past IVf cycles? I have meds that I would like to see if my REs office will take as a donation but I'm not sure if they do that. I do realize we may need some stuff in the future but was also looking at expiration dates.
Me:30 low AMH; DH:30 MFI (count, motility, morphology)
2 rounds clomid 100 mg -BFN
IUI#1- 25 mg clomid- July 2012= BFN!
IUI #2 August = BFN!
IUI #3 September = BFN!

IVF #1 November - converted to IUI #4 due to poor response = BFN
IVF #1.2 February- converted to IUI #5 due to poor response = BFN
IVF #1.3 April- micro dose Lupron flare with HGH; 14R, 13M, 11F! Transfer of 1 day 5 blast on 4/30, 4 frosties. BFP! Beta #1 9dp5dt= 179; Beta #2 11dp5dt= 442; Beta #3 4106 Stick baby stick!!

*trying to keep hope*

Re: What to do with old IVF stuff?

• Options
    I'm keeping things until they get close to expiration and then donating them.  I have lots of meds leftover, because i stockpiled during previous cycles (for IVF/IUI nothing was covered for us, but intercourse cycles were covered, so I ordered all refills every time, and we did an intercourse cycle before IVF so I would have a 'fresh' batch.)

I am terrified to get rid of things :/ Even though things are going well, I feel almost superstitious about getting rid of the fridge full of meds. 

My clinic doesn't take donations, but there is a message board and a FB page that the clinic runs so patients can connect with each other that way to make arrangements for individual donations. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Options
    I donated my stim meds to my RE. I still have the syringes though because I don't know what on earth to do with them. I even have my sharps containers because I don't know where I can dispose . I would have loved to donate to OOP program but read on resolve website that its not legal ??
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jezebel57- It's not technically legal to take or dispense medicine that wasn't prescribed to you or by you, so I guess there is that. That is why my clinic doesn't take donations.  I think the main issue though is people selling prescription meds which is definitely not legal (and often leaves a paper trail). 

I could be totally wrong though.

Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Options
    I received and donated back to the OOP meds program, we would never have been able to afford IVF twice.  I don't think its "legal",but really the cops have way more important things to focus on. I think the MAIN thing is not to sell them, I did pay for shipping and a lot of women will ship it for free for the recipient to avoid this possible issue.  Anyway, my RE even gives donated meds away and blacks out the names on it!  Even tho its not legal.  

I received what would have cost me over $6k of follistim from a woman who's insurance covered it!  Think how crazy it would have been if she just threw it away!  This little boy wouldn't be here if some rules were fudged.  I look at it like speeding, we all do it and most of the time dont get caught!  Haha!

Jez-As for the sharps container you should ask your RE what to do with it.  I had a small container and they said to duck tape it closed and just throw it away.  I threw one away at the office b/c I had brought it in thinking they had to toss it for me.  I am sure every state is going to be a little different.  
    TTC#1: 14 months on our own (did HSG, b/w, SA);
    BFP on Cycle 14--TWINS! Identical twin boys stillborn at 19wks(1/9/10)
    3 break cycles; took clomid 50mg, BFP #2 Beta #1 35, Beta #2 338!!! Owen was born 2/11/11! 
    TTC#2: 4 cycles on clomid: BFNs
    BFP #3: Cycle #5 100mg clomid; beta #1 21; beta #2 6=CP 
    Cycle #6 break cycle TTC no meds=BFN
    Cycle #7: 150 clomid+ovidril+IUI=BFN (switched to RE)
    Cycle #8: follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle #9 Forced break due to cyst
    Cycle #10 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle #11 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
    Cycle#12 Forced break due to cyst, went on BCP; did repeat HSG, Saline U/S
    Cycle #13 IVF: Follistim/Menapur ER 11-30 11 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized and 3dt on 12-3; BFN
    Cycle #14: IVF#2 lupron/follistim/menopur ER 1-22, 19 eggs, 14 fertilized, 5dt on 1-27, BFP!! beta 1: 63, beta 2: 119; EDD 10-15-13; 1 frozen embie
    Miracle Surprise BFP, EDD 10-1-15; saw HB great Betas, 11weeks lost baby MC at home
    Moved forward with FET transfered solo frostie on 6-4-15, beta 1: 315, beta 2: 738, u/s showed one baby on track EDD 2-21-16
  • Options
    I donated my meds to the OOP meds program and a personal friend. I took my sharps container to be emptied at my RE's office. I'm going to hold on to my sharps container and syringes since they don't expire and we plan on going back to our frosties for siblings. You could try taking your sharps container and/or leftover syringes to a pharmacy to dispose of.
    ***Siggy Warning***

imageimage
    Anniversary

Started TTC June 2011Cycles #1-10 = BFNCycle #11: 100 mg Clomid + TI =BFNReferred to RE March 2012HSG all clear, FSH = 13, Prolactin = 28, S/A = greatApril 2012 MRI to check for brain tumor due to elevated Prolactin = clearJune 2012 Hysteroscopy to remove uterine polyps and partial septateJuly 2012 IUI #1 7/7/12 = BFNAugust 2012 IUI #2.1 Cancelled due to early/missed ovulation = BFNSeptember 2012 Forced break due to one huge cyst October 2012 IUI #2.2 = BFNNovember 2012 Begin BCPs for IVF #1December 2012 IVF #1 = Delayed due to cyst. Start stims 12/22January 2013 ER: 1/2, 14R, 10M, 9FET: 1/7 Transferred 1 "Perfect" blast! 4 frosties!Beta #1: 99 BFP! #2: 227 #3: 584 #4: 3,020Baby Boy born September 25, 2013

TTC #2
    November 2014 - Begin BCPs
    December 2014 - Start Lupron 12/25
    January 2015 - FET #1

*Everyone Welcome*

• Options
    My RE office won't take the meds either. But, as a recipient of meds through the bumps OOP program, I can't recommend it enough. We would never have been able to afford our last injects cycle without the donation. That cycle was out BFP Cycle. Donating the meds is a very nice and very appreciated gesture.

Me: 32 DH: 31.
    B/W: good. SA: good.
    November 2012: Paratubal cyst found during U/S.
    January 10, 2013: Lap removed paratubal cyst and Stage 2 Endometriosis. 
    3 cycles of Femara + TI = BFNs

June 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 37.5 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFN

July 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 75 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFP!!!!

Beta 1 @ 11 DPIUI = 76. Progesterone = 27.3

BFP 8/16/2013 // EDD 4/28/2014

Jordan Samuel born April 19, 2014. 6 lb, 12 oz and 18 inches long.

CLICK ME!!!11!!1111!!

• Options
    i was so nervous after reading that its not legal to dispense meds to someone not prescribed to that i decided i just wasn't comfortable with shipping to someone i really didn't know.  i decided to give them back to my RE because they will give to those not covered by insurance, this is how i got my meds during our IUI's which were not covered because we had a different insurance then and were completely OOP.  i felt like i was helping other patients and also felt more comfortable with my RE being the middle man.  that being said, i completely agree that without people who donate to the OOP program, many people wouldn't be able to complete cycles.
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm keeping things until they get close to expiration and then donating them.  I have lots of meds leftover, because i stockpiled during previous cycles (for IVF/IUI nothing was covered for us, but intercourse cycles were covered, so I ordered all refills every time, and we did an intercourse cycle before IVF so I would have a 'fresh' batch.)

I am terrified to get rid of things :/ Even though things are going well, I feel almost superstitious about getting rid of the fridge full of meds. 

My clinic doesn't take donations, but there is a message board and a FB page that the clinic runs so patients can connect with each other that way to make arrangements for individual donations. 

i was nervous to get rid of mine as well and waited until 12 weeks.  the only reason i gave them up then is because i wanted them to go to someone before they expired! 
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options

I have both donated and received through OOP meds. I have zero guilt about it. I know that the law is there to prevent bad things from happening, but it was the difference between us being able to keep trying and not. I have a few meds left from our successful cycle that I will donate with those that I'm still taking once we are in our 2nd tri and off all meds.

After our first 3 fresh cycles, had way more syringes/gauze/alcohol swabs than I could ever need. Last summer I donated them to a friend who is a nurse and went to Guatemala on a humanitarian effort to a clinic there. She was ecstatic.

As for throwing away sharps, I have both taken them to my clinic and secured the container with duct tape and thrown them away in our regular trash. Check with your local waste managment to see if it's allowed.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"