November 2013 Moms

Dogs and The New Baby

I came across this on Pinterest.  And, since I know a lot of us have "Fur Babies" I thought I'd share.

https://www.cesarsway.com/tips/yournewdog/introduce-your-dog-to-your-baby

Re: Dogs and The New Baby

• Awesome! Thanks for posting!
  • God I wish this could be posted everywhere! I'm so sick of pitbull hate. I had the sweetest pitbull once. I now have three small dogs, which I still would never leave unattended with a child, because YOU NEVER KNOW what is going through that dogs brain.

Forget breed. Don't assume your dog will (or will not) pose a problem based on breed alone. Sure, babies have been bitten by Rottweilers and pit bulls, but they have also been injured by labs, chows, and mixed breeds. A baby in Rhode Island was killed by a cute little Pomeranian. What is the key? Leadership. Be honest with yourself. Can you control your dog at all times in all situations?
    BLAD reppin'

• Loading the player...
  • Preparing Fido (google it) is supposed to be great for preparing for baby! It's an online program with baby sounds and a manual with tips.
    -Jenn Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DebateThisDebateThis member
    edited September 2013
    MosyMama said:
    Caesar Millan sucks. Sorry. Coming from a shelter background I have seen too many dogs be euthanized because people use his techniques at home and get bit. He has been bitten himself using his forceful methods. There are some dogs that may take to this type of training but it is a really dangerous gamble. I didn't read the article because he makes my blood boil but if there is anything in it about being the pack leader or negative reinforcement, you should look elsewhere. Dogs respond best to positive reinforcement. ::stepping down from soapbox::
    The article has sound advice that matches other sources I've read. Establishing oneself as the pack leader is not an idea unique to Cesar Millan, as we have worked with several different trainers over the years for our rescue dog's fear-aggression, and the lessons/education for MH and I focused on that across the board.
    I don't particularly care if you've heard it from a lot of different sources. Dominance training is bad news and I wouldn't advocate that 30+ weeks pregnant women/new mothers start trying that crap with their pets. It's begging for trouble.

That particular article linked above is fairly harmless about establishing boundaries etc, but ditto PP that Caesar Milan is doing no one (four legged or two legged) any favors by continuing to promote that method of training when it has been proven to cause problems.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"