October 2013 Moms

Flu Shot

Just saw the first sign out at Safeway this AM that they had flu shots.... I am going to get one and I know it is good for LO too, but does anyone know how long it takes for baby to get antibodies? Just curious if I should rush out tomorrow again or if it can wait until beg of next week. I will be induced in 3 weeks if LO stays put.

Re: Flu Shot

• Takes 2 weeks to be effective.

I've heard the same for the Tdap so 2 weeks must be the norm.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I'm able to get one through my MW, so I'm just waiting until they say it's time during a usual visit. Do you have any appts coming up soon? I might call and ask if it's possible to just get it out of the way while you're at the doctor already.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB said they haven't released the new formula for this year yet. The CDC predicts which strains will be most prevalent and they redo the shots to target those specifically. They said it doesn't come out until 1st week of October and said to wait and get it at the hospital before we get discharged. It also doesn't take as long to build up antibodies, it's less than 2 weeks. Maybe check with your doc before you get it at the pharmacy?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The new ones have been released, we've received the batch for 2013/14 at work already this week.  Good thing about health care is getting it free at work, we normally don't start giving them out until mid-Sept to our patients, keep in mind you want it to be effective throughout the flu season so you don't want to get it super early b/c it doesn't last forever.  I'd ask your OB though if they have a preference for when you should get it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The intranasal should take effect faster than the jab but isn't recommended for pregnancy (ok for nursing). So if you end up waiting til PP for whatever reason, consider the intranasal if you want a faster onset.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"