July 2013 Moms

NICU Log: Day 101 (A Lucas Update)

I made the mistake of counting - Lucas is 101 days old now.

CN: Luke doesn't feel good, which sucks, but they don't think it's anything to really worry about. Surgery on Tuesday, 9/3.

Long Version: I was going to post a cute 100th day update yesterday, but instead I spent the day with him sleeping on me because he didn't feel good, and then he puked and it came out both nostrils and scared the sh*t out of both of us. He'd had another contrast study the day before, and the think he may be reacting to that a bit, so after a couple more puke sessions overnight he's on antibiotics and we hope he'll be feeling better soon.

5 contrast studies have shown his intestines are only healing very very slowly, and there is still a small leak and/or blockage that they'll have to fix when they go back in. His doctor says he should be able to fix it and still reconnect; if he comes back still with an ostomy again I think all three of us are just going to quit and go home. I'm not sure I could take it.

After he heals from surgery, we'll see what he can tolerate in terms of eating, and once that's figured out we can go home, even if he still needs an IV. His intestines will probably take quite a while to function properly. He may have a G-tube; they're putting one in just in case so they don't have to send him back to the OR for it later. He will also have a new kind of IV line thats meant to be more long-term (again just in case, but it's pretty likely he'll need it). We don't have any timeline for how long it will take to figure out the feedings though, so we're looking at a range of 2 weeks to ???? after surgery before we're home.

I'm dreading post-op recovery again. It feels like we just keep starting over. It also seems kind of daunting that we may have to learn to take care of him all over again; the ostomy and current IV have been hard, but they're old hat at this point. I want really badly to be able to nurse, but we've never even tried, and the thought of just starting over on things like we have a newborn again at this point is exhausting.

Well, I can only bump while I pump today, so I'm going to get back to my baby. Thanks for the T&P!
FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.

Re: NICU Log: Day 101 (A Lucas Update)

• You are such a strong woman to be going through all this. 101 days must feel like an eternity; I know 30 days did for us. I'm sending positive vibes that Tuesday's surgery goes well and Lucas has a fast recovery. You're doing great! Stay strong!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • M0ONM0ON member
    Keeping you & your little guy in my thoughts, hope all goes well and both your days start to get brighter. Hang in there mama, youre doing great!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You are amazing. Your family is always in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck on Tuesday! Luke is such a strong little boy.
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • Lots of prayers!!! Good luck on tuesday!
  • You and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong! Creepy message board hugs

imageimageimage

• You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. And lots of hugs!
  • Thinking of you.  Hoping LO has an easy recovery.  
  • Thoughts and prayers to you and Luke! You're both so strong!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • fabkfabk member
    T &P for you guys. I hope it all goes well.
  • You are one amazing mama. Thoughts and prayers that all goes well.

*On 4.28.11 we said goodbye to our angel baby (D&E at 18.5 weeks)*
  • KikiCohenKikiCohen member
    edited August 2013

The three of you are in my thoughts and prayers daily.  Best wishes for Lucas' surgery!  I hope everything goes well :)

In regards to the puking out his nostrils- Phillip has acid reflux and pukes out his nostrils at least once a week.  His pediatrician said it's no big deal, just to make sure we use the bulb syringe to clear out his nostrils.  It's still scary as crap, but it's easier knowing that it's not a cause for concern.  (hugs)

• You and your little man are in my thoughts and prayers!
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Just wanted to send some T&P your way. It sounds like you're doing a hell of a job with a really tough situation, and I know that Lucas will thank you for it one day! Keep your chin up, mama!
  • I've been wondering about you. Continued T and P's. I hope his surgery is successful and he feels better soon. Big hugs to you.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• thinking of you! Stay strong mama!
  • Hugs mama, I cannot imagine 101 days in the NICU, I was losing my mind after 63! I am keeping little man in my thoughts!
  • You're little boy is lucky to have you as a mom, stay strong and hang in there! I hope you guys can all be home together soon!
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • I think of you and baby Luke often. I hope the surgery goes well.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Positive energy and thoughts to you and your family. I hope all goes well on Tuesday!
  • Your LO has very strong parents so I'm sure he's very strong as well! I'll be thinking of you guys.
    Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• Praying for you all! Lucas is in my thoughts.

• Thinking of you, Mimi! You're so strong and Luke is lucky to have you as his mommy :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I hope baby Lucas feels better! Bless his heart! Good luck with surgery!
  • Thoughts and prayers for his surgery this week and his quick recovery. I often wonder how y'all are doing and it's good to see an update. I hope everything goes well this week and keep us posted if you can.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Will be thinking of you on Tuesday!
  • More T&Ps to you all! 
  • Thank you so much for updating us on sweet Lucas!  You are an incredible mama, and I pray that surgery will go much better than expected.  Prayers for continued healing for Lucas, too. 

Anniversary imageLilypie - (fQ49)

• FX for a perfect surgery and quick recovery! Your positive attitude is awe inspiring.
  • T&Ps for you, your family, and little lucas. You have been so strong and really positive and thank you for updating us
     imageimageimageimage  
    Anniversary

• Stay strong! You're doing great! You and Lucas are in my prayers.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • All the best, Mimi! T&Ps that all goes well.
  • Sending you t&p! You are such a good, strong mama and I think about you guys often. Best of luck with the upcoming surgery, keep the updates coming!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I hope his surgery goes well. I'll be thinking of you all. Stay strong mamma :)
  • T&PS to you and your little man that all goes well. You are an amazingly strong mama.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • T&p's to you and Lucas! I hope you get some answers next week!
  • Thinking of you, Lucas, and your family. I can't even imagine how challenging and emotional all of this has been for you. Lucas is lucky to have such a strong mama.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I too have been thinking of you and Lucas. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way this coming week. Take care!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Oh, Momma! I can't wait for you to be able to put this all behind you ad take Lucas home. ((BIG HUGS))

FX for a successful surgery and speedy recovery this week.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"