December 2012 Moms
Options

Ready to cry

Background: I have super sensetive skin and have known allergy issues with nickel, white gold, and rhodium (which is often used with white gold). During an ill-fated engagement a while back, after a bit of trial and error, I found that I could wear platinum without an issue.

So in buying rings for me, we found a local jeweler and explained the situation. They found a solution and we ordered my whole bridal set. SO picked it up on Thursday night. Have been wearing the engagement ring for about a day and my finger is itching. So, this morning have been doing some research and found put that this vendor uses cobalt to alloy platinum, not iridium -- kind of an important point since cobalt is next to nickel on the periodic table, iridium is a cousin to platinum. I kind of feel like that was an important point to tell us about.

So, now I'm seriously about to cry because I love my rings, but also that I have to tell SO (who spent a lot pn them) and that we'll probably need to return them (no idea how that'll go since they were special orders).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Ready to cry

• Options
    I would definitely freak out in your situation because a hate extra hassle especially when it is related to something I'm excited about. But there are two important things I am getting from what you said. 1) you were totally up front about your skin issues so if they are a good business they will fix the ring problem at their cost even though it was a special order. I would call them right away. 2) SO certainly does not want you to have beautiful expensive rings that make you itchy. It's not like he did anything wrong or bought the wrong thing so he will be happy to know the issue. If he had picked out rings and you wanted to take them back because you thought they were ugly then that would be something to feel bad about. This isn't your fault.

So this sucks and it is a hassle but everything will be okay. I think you will feel better after telling SO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    I agree with PP. If the jeweler knew the reason for the special order in the first place, they should definitely take the rings back. What a hassle though. I feel for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ughh I'd be so bummed too. I have the same sensitivity issue with certain jewelry. I went with platinum as well. I hope you guys are able to switch them out with not too much of a hassle. If you really want to wear them but it's driving you nuts, try putting clear nail polish on your finger and letting it dry before putting them on (might still be uncomfortable though). 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @SingleMom31 that is frustrating! I would want to cry as well. As PP said, a good business will work with you. GL!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.

We stopped in at the jewelers today and explained what was going on. The actual jeweler won't be in until Tuesday, but it sounded promising... They're also calling the manufacturer to see exactly what's in it. I'm still sad, but at least they were nice about it.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"