October 2013 Moms

i need a book to read!

i get serious ADD when trying to choose another book via the kindle when i have absolutley nothing in mind.  it overwhelms me every time, then i just give up and don't read anything haah.   

so, plz NO chick-lit, no sci-fi, no 50 shades of grey and NO vampire shiz.     i prefer coming of age type stuff and a lovely writing style is a must.

go!

Re: i need a book to read!

• Have you read The Beautiful Ruins yet?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • sleepy33 said:
    Have you read The Beautiful Ruins yet?
    nay. synopsis please

• Loading the player...
  • What about the new JK Rowling pseudonym book, "the cuckoo's calling" detective novel?
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • bkeane619 said:
    What about the new JK Rowling pseudonym book, "the cuckoo's calling" detective novel?
    too close to harry potter, which i refuse to read! 

• sleepy33sleepy33 member
    edited August 2013

sleepy33 said:
    Have you read The Beautiful Ruins yet?
    nay. synopsis please
    "The story begins in 1962. On a rocky patch of the sun-drenched Italian coastline, a young innkeeper, chest-deep in daydreams, looks out over the incandescent waters of the Ligurian Sea and spies an apparition: a tall, thin woman, a vision in white, approaching him on a boat. She is an actress, he soon learns, an American starlet, and she is dying.

And the story begins again today, half a world away, when an elderly Italian man shows up on a movie studio's back lot - searching for the mysterious woman he last saw at his hotel decades earlier.

What unfolds is a dazzling, yet deeply human, roller coaster of a novel, spanning 50 years and nearly as many lives. From the lavish set of Cleopatra to the shabby revelry of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Walter introduces us to the tangled lives of a dozen unforgettable characters: the starstruck Italian innkeeper and his long-lost love; the heroically preserved producer who once brought them together and his idealistic young assistant; the army veteran turned fledgling novelist, and the rakish Richard Burton himself, whose appetites set the whole story in motion - along with the husbands and wives, lovers and dreamers, superstars and losers, who populate their world in the decades that follow.

Gloriously inventive, constantly surprising, Beautiful Ruins is a story of flawed yet fascinating people, navigating the rocky shores of their lives while clinging to their improbable dreams."

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker

• bkeane619 said:

What about the new JK Rowling pseudonym book, "the cuckoo's calling" detective novel?

too close to harry potter, which i refuse to read! 

Wait, why did I think u liked HP?
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • @btimes3 My all time fave!! ^5
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • bkeane619 said:

Wait, why did I think u liked HP?

• If you haven't read these yet, I recommend to all:
    The Glass Castle
    A Thousand Splendid Suns

Also, I loved Jodi Picoult's newest book The Storyteller

And Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Asperger's by John Elder Robison
  • Lia1303 said:
    Dan Brown's Inferno Bitter is the New Black by Jennifer Lancaster. Funny sarcastic easy read. The Road Cormac McCarthy (post apocalyptic, pretty sad).
    Oh man. The Road ripped my heart out. Such a good book. I never watched the movie. I heard it didn't do the book justice. 
  • CV, I read a lot of young adult novels. Mostly trilogies. If you feel like zoning out and rotting your brain you just let me know.
  • Seeing as MadDAdam just came out, I am going to recommend anything by Margaret Atwood. Her trilogy is sci fi but any of her older books are filled with amazing female protagonists and can be all consuming reads.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Secrets of Eden or The Light in the Ruins --both by Chris Bohjalian. He's an AWESOME author.

Also I did a blog post of the best books I read in 2012 --here's the link for you. https://quinnmommy.blogspot.com/2012/12/my-favorite-books-2012-edition.html

I totally agree with you--I need lovely writing styles or I get bored bored bored. I do like chick lit but it has to be well written, a la Emily Giffin.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"