September 2012 Moms

Straws

When did your LO start using straws? I am just curious because mine hasnt. TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Straws

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I don't remember for James. Leo doesn't get it yet.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• E wouldn't really take a bottle and sippy was mediocre, so we started on straws. It took him about a month to really get it. That was around 8m maybe?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • mssm2012 said:

Mine started using a straw cup around 9 months, but she was initially really messy - she figured how to suck, but would draw up too much water and couldn't swallow it all, so it dribbled all over her shirt.

I think what really helped her figure it out was using pouches for applesauce & yogurt. We had to squeeze a little out of the spout, but after a few days of consistently using the pouches, she figured out how to suck from them. After that, sucking from a straw just came naturally. 

She finally "mastered" the sucking/swallowing combo around 10.5 months, but she still gets confused and tries to tip the cup up (like a sippy or bottle). 
    This exactly.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Lexie will only use the straw but it took her about a month also with the fruit pouches to "get it".  She doesn't understand how to drink from other sippys, the concept of tilting it somehow doesn't connect between bottles/straw cups.  Oh well- less likely to spill!

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • BPerBPer member
    DD uses straws all the time. If you have a drink with a straw, she'll grab it and drink out of it. I'm not sure when it 'clicked', but she sucks up pouches like a straw too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"