August 2013 Moms

To Shop or Not?

I am 5 weeks pp and my maternity clothes are starting to be too big ( yay) but I'm still nowhere near the size 2 I used to be for my normal clothing. My hips may have expanded to the point of no return. Also, I am wearing the same 3 outfits everyday.

I was thinking of getting some flattering, bf friendly items like wrap dresses and tops. However, I don't know if the boost to my self esteem will be worth investing in a wardrobe that may only last a couple months. I'm a little sad because I was the stylish one among my friends and now I look like a hot mess.

Has anyone done this? Did you think it was worth it?

Re: To Shop or Not?

• V&G101808V&G101808 member
    edited August 2013
    I'm going to buy a few things but don't want to invest too much since I hope to continue losing weight. I figure i'll need a few new things for when i return to work. Thankfully my skinny jeans are crazy stretchy and i can wear them again but I've been wearing the same 2 pairs of jeans for the past month!

My problem are tops: I like my tops tight but until my stomach gets right again, I look like I have a major muffin top problem.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• V&G101808 said:

I'm going to buy a few things but don't want to invest too much since I hope to continue losing weight. I figure i'll need a few new things for when i return to work. Thankfully my skinny jeans are crazy stretchy and i can wear them again but I've been wearing the same 2 pairs of jeans for the past month!

My problem are tops: I like my tops tight but until my stomach gets right again, I look like I have a major muffin top problem.

Same with the muffin top. DH suggested us doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and I just looked at him like, really? I have a second degree tear and my boobs hurt like hell. No freaking way I'm jumping up and down anytime soon.

• Loading the player...
  • lydsyjane said:

V&G101808 said:

Same with the muffin top. DH suggested us doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and I just looked at him like, really? I have a second degree tear and my boobs hurt like hell. No freaking way I'm jumping up and down anytime soon.
    Once I get the all clear from my doc I hope to pick up T25. I miss my pre preg body!!!
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Id shop, even once you lose the extra skin/etc itll take time for your hips to get back, if they ever do.
    image image

• Personally, I'm not shopping. I have a lot of maxis I can get away with until I lose more weight. I've already dropped 29lbs. and with my workout regimen I will start (I've already drastically changed my diet) I plan to drop quite a bit more weight. I don't go back to work until 11/1 so I have quite a bit of time to get back into some of my pre preg clothes.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd do some. The self-esteem boost in the postpartum period is worth it.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • I've been having this same internal debate!!! I have no clothes I can wear. My maternity style included alot of fitted spandex so I can't wear any of that cause I still have a gut and my nice round butt has deflated and is not flattering. I literally rotate 2 pairs of yoga pants, 2 maternity jeans, and like 5 maternity shirts. It is a bit depressing. @meegie-lee you may be right, the waste of money might be worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• I'd do some. The self-esteem boost in the postpartum period is worth it.

Yep this 100 times over.

TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • First off, are you one and done or planning on having multiple pregnancies?

After my first, one of the best things I did was buy some clothes in my new size. Since I BF for over a year, those shirts got a lot of use! The jeans only hung around for a month or two, but I used them after the first pregnancy, during the first tri of my second, after my second, during first tri with my third, and will try them on again in a few weeks. So its not like you will never use them again.

Plus, if they are in great shape, you can sell them at a consignment store. ;)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Oh! And it is Labor Day Weekend! Go to old navy or kohls and pick up something cheap! ;)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

• MrsIMrsI member
    I bought 5 nursing tanks but that's as far as I'll go for now. I'm only 3 weeks pp with a csec. With DD I went right back into my glory clothes and by the time cooler weather came I was back in my jeans. I'm giving myself a little more time with the csec healing and am just wearing gouchos. Not the most stylish but it'll do and people who really know you totally understand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First off, are you one and done or planning on having multiple pregnancies? After my first, one of the best things I did was buy some clothes in my new size. Since I BF for over a year, those shirts got a lot of use! The jeans only hung around for a month or two, but I used them after the first pregnancy, during the first tri of my second, after my second, during first tri with my third, and will try them on again in a few weeks. So its not like you will never use them again. Plus, if they are in great shape, you can sell them at a consignment store. ;)
    Not sure yet if we're 1&D or not, but I can consign/ resell my clothes easily normally, so I was thinking that's another reason to justify a shopping spree.

• I don't even want to begin the process of even trying on my regular clothes yet lol. Though i can easily fit ib my regular tops, right now im living in my maternity bottoms and yoga pants. I figure that I'm only a little over 3 weeks PP and I don't want to feel depressed trying to put on jeans. I don't want to feel depressed going clothes shopping either haha
  • I just went out and bought 3 new pairs of jeans. I had nothing besides leggings that fit. I feel a lot better about myself having clothes that fit. Spending the money is worth it to me even if I'll only wear them for a month or two.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • I think it's worth it! I am going back to work in October, so I will need to figure out some clothes that fit. Then I'll probably buy a few new things (on sale or from an outlet) that make me feel good. It is good for the self esteem and my experience last pregnancy was that many things I had never quite fit the same, including shoes, pants, shirts, and bras.
  • It is good for the self esteem and my experience last pregnancy was that many things I had never quite fit the same, including shoes, pants, shirts, and bras.

That reminds me...

It was a rude awakening when I was back down to my pre preg weight, almost no flabby tummy, and my pre preg pants would not fit. The shape of my hips was so different that my old jeans (if I could get them over my hips) were not flattering. So I went shopping. Longest day of my life. It took me two malls and an unknown number of stores to figure out what styles/brands/sizes flattered my shape.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"