September 2013 Moms

I gained how much in one week?!

So I've been pretty content with my weight gain, as has my doctor. I was at around 32lbs last week, which is on the higher end of normal but still OK for my pre-pregnancy weight. I get on the scale with the nurse today, and I was up 12 lbs from last week...12!! I go into the appointment waiting for the doctor to say something, and all she says is "You're still doing well in terms of weight gain, right where you should be." So of course I ask her if she's concerned about the huge weight gain this week, and she is pretty confused saying I only gained 1 lb. She tells me the weight the nurse wrote down, and it's not at all what I saw on the scale. So we go out and she weighs me again on 2 scales, and sure enough, up 12 lbs. She now thinks there was an error last week, because she doesn't think it's possible that I gained that much in one week. I watch pretty carefully though, and I think the number from last week is accurate. I'm pretty shocked but I guess all I can do is be healthy these last couple weeks and be thankful the baby is healthy. But YOWZA, 12 lbs in 7 days?? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I gained how much in one week?!

• Did you have a really salty meal recently? That can add some SERIOUS bloat weight.
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD Born 9/7/13 
    Ectopic pregnancy Sep/Oct 2014 ended in surgery, and many trips to the ER
    Miracle #3: EDD 11/28/16

• That's what I'm thinking, I've had some serious fluid retention and swelling, so some of it must be water weight!

• Loading the player...
  • pfffft... 12.. they tried to tell me I gained 22lbs in the past two weeks. That was a shocker! (basically....  I totally get what you're saying here! LOL)

• It has to be fluid retention! Don't stress!
  • dhaueisen said:

That does seem like a lot, usually it's fluid when you gain that fast. I'm assuming they checked your BP and urine to make sure it wasn't anything serious like pre-e? Otherwise I would stay away from salt, drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit and veggies, that much swelling has to be so uncomfortable!

Yup, they checked my BP and urine, both good. I'll definitely be avoiding salt and upping my water intake this week!

• Odd.  Weight gain like that could be typical end-of-pregnancy bloat, or could indicate pre-e.  If you don't have any other symptoms and your bp is good, i wouldn't worry.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • They also might have recorded your weight incorrectly the week before. My chart had my height at 6'11' - which made my BMI look AMAZING! But, was insanely wrong.
  • It's gotta be a fluke with regard to water retention. You might find you lose weight next week. 

Meanwhile, I think I just hit the 40lb mark. I was ok with my weight gain until now. I also just surpassed DH's weight, and he's 4 in taller than me. I hope the baby weight comes off this time (it basically did with DS.)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"